Chef Knife for Cutting Fruits Vegetables and Meat - 12-7/8" - Damascus - Unfinished Kit
Save 20% - Get a Handle on Knife Making and Stay Sharp!
A chef's knife knife is a highly versatile knife, it can be used for slicing, dicing, and much more. Now you can make your own custom chef’s knife with this project blank. The ZHEN® Chef's Hammered Surface Damascus Knife Blank is forged in Japan through a combination of skill,...
Items You May Need
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153746
System ThreeItem 159190
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159718
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160097
Cousineau Wood ProductsItem 164102
The ZHEN® Chef's Hammered Surface Damascus Knife Blank is forged in Japan through a combination of skill, knowledge, and advanced knife-making technology. The blade is made by forge welding 66-layers of steel together around a single core layer of VG – 10 stainless steel (HRC60-62), which creates a high-quality blade. Each blade has a unique pattern on its surface and an edge that remains extremely sharp over an extended period. The hammered surface or tsuchime finish acts like a series of hollow-ground cavities that reduce drag and allow food to be released from the blade surface while slicing. Designed with the professional cook in mind, this knife makes a great gift for the cook in your family.
- Zhen knife blanks are designed to meet the standards of perfection demanded by Japanese chefs
- Customize your knife blade by making the handle yourself (sold separately)
- Crafted from 66 layers of Japanese Damascus steel
- Hammered tsuchime finish acts like a series of hollow-ground cavities reducing drag
- Maintains an extremely sharp edge over an extended period of time
- Blade Length: 7-3/4"
- Overall Length:12-7/8"
- Blade Construction: VG – 10 steel core with a Rockwell hardness of HRC60-62
- (1) Knife blade blank
- (1) Set of rivets
- In order to construct a completed chef's knife, you will also need a Whiteside Pilot Drill & Countersink (#153927, sold separately), 5-minute epoxy (sold separately) and (2) 3/8" x 1-1/2" x 5" knife scale (sold separately).
- CAUTION: DO NOT chop bone or use this knife on a hard surface like a glass cutting board, tile, or granite.
- Hand wash your blades with gentle dish soap, rinse clean and towel dry immediately.
- Hone your blades with a steel or ceramic rod weekly to keep them sharp.
- We recommend sharpening your blades with a whetstone at an angle of 15°-20°.
Instructions / MSDS
Nice kitchen knife. Sharp and keeps a good edge. Inspect the bolster and tang before buying though.
Made one for my mother a few years ago and it's her favorite knife. The edge has held up fairly well considering how hard it's been used. A word of caution, I highly recommend inspecting the knife before buying if possible. I bought a second kit some time later and the tang and bolster had some issues. The tang and bolsters weren't flat and the hardened still makes it difficult to correct without the proper tools. I returned one kit and the staff didn't seem to happy about it but I wasn't willing to spend that much time on a blank for that price.