Benchtop Mortiser, Model PM701
Flat Shipping Fee of $28.00
In-line depth stop allows stopping at pre-set depths without racking the bit to the baseHeavy-duty reversible handle can be installed to either side of the head without toolsStock hold-down with a...
You May Also Like
- In-line depth stop allows stopping at pre-set depths without racking the bit to the base
- Heavy-duty reversible handle can be installed to either side of the head without tools
- Stock hold-down with a double lock system, top and side, to eliminate slippage of workpiece
- Quick action cam lock will quickly lock fence in position with one 90° movement
- 2 integrated bit and chisel spacers for quick set up
- Large work surfaces on both table and fence for greater stability and accuracy
- Large, hinged chuck door with magnetic catch for rapid access to the chuck
- Rack and pinion design for simple fence adjustments
- Integrated chisel and tool holder with sharpening stone
- 1/2" drill chuck with 4" chuck key
- Removable safety switch key
- Amps : 8/4
- Base Size (in.) : 16-5/16 x 13-3/4
- Bushing Size (in.) : 5/8 and 3/4
- Chisel Center to Fence (in.) : 4-3/8 maximum
- Chisel Shank Capacity (in.) : 3/4
- Chuck Size (in.) : 1/2
- Fence Size (L x H/in.) : 2-5/8 x 12-1/2
- Head Stroke (in) : 5-1/2
- Height : 17.4 inch
- Length : 24.2 inch
- Motor HP : 3/4HP
- Motor Phase : 1PH
- Motor Voltage : 115/230V
- Net Weight (in): 93
- Overall Dimensions : 24.2 x 19.2 x 17.4
- Part Number : 1791310
- Prewired : 115V
- Spindle Speed (RPM) : 1725
- Spindle Speeds : 1720 RPM
- Table Size (in.) : 11 x 13
- Under Hold-Down (in.) : 5
- Width (in): 19.2
- Shipping weight: (lbs): 100
Shipping / Billing Information
This product ships direct from the manufacturer:
- Your order will ship in 2-5 business days.
- This product is considered special order. Your account will be charged when you place your order.
- Express or overnight shipping is not available for this product.
- Ships by Ground to the 48 contiguous states. Cannot ship to Alaska, Hawaii, PO Boxes, APOs, US Territories, Canada or other foreign countries.
All returns must be pre-approved. Any non-warranty returns must be unused and in original packaging. A 25% restock fee will apply. Customer pays return freight. Please call our Customer Service Dept. at 1-800-535-4482 with any return questions.
Because this item is purchased and shipped directly from the manufacturer, their warranty supersedes any offered by Woodcraft. Click here for Powermatic Warranty
Articles & Blogs
Two great guys who do a lot of fine woodworking are Tommy MacDonald and Eli Cleveland from the PBS woodworking show, Rough Cut – Woodworking with Tommy Mac. Together they have created a New Year’s woodworking resolution list for your shop.
What a difference in quality!
I don't often write reviews, but I felt I had to write this one. I've been in the market for a mortiser for quite a while - and I bought one of those lower priced models from Delta a couple of month ago when it was on sale. Had to return it because it was so poorly built (out of square!!!). Then this went on sale and I bought it. What a difference!! It is a completely different design - perfect alignment, no play in any of the components. Hold down works really well (often a weak spot). Installed a quality chisel (Lee Valley has great ones you can buy individually) - and within a few minutes I had perfect mortises in African Mahogany. If you ever decide to buy a mortiser, don't waste your time and money on any of the other systems (they are all the same fundamental design with all its flaws) - save the extra money and buy the Powermatic - you won't regret it.
Works as advertised
The unit works great, high quality, powerful, easy to use It comes mostly assembled, I was up and running in less then 10 minutes The only draw back is that the bits are not included in the relatively hefty price And the bits too are...pricey...BUT worth every penny I tried a cheaper model mortiser from another company where the bits where included...and the bits were toys compared to these Despite the cost I highly recommend to anyone who's a serious woodworking hobbyist. It will save you time and money in the long run
I placed on order for a Powermatic bench top mortiser during a Powermatic factory sale. I then get a response that it is back ordered for at least 4 weeks. This is very disappointing because the sale was a factory sale. This shows me that they don't know their own inventory. I will be more careful when and from whom I place my next order. I am still waiting.
You can turn the head 180 degrees, which is nice. I have seen very nice results with this tool, I am just not that good with it to do it myself. Does NOT use Wood River bits, I tried and returned them as soon as I received it. Only buy this if you do a lot of mortises or you like to buy tools. It looks cooler than it is. It would be nice if you could use shorter bits so you could also use it as a drill press as well, or at least use the wood river bits in it.
Powermatc 701 is what it is...
As far as benchtop mortisers go this one seems to be better than most(rating the machine itself I give it 4 stars). The platform is heavy and stable, which has been the case with all of the Powermatic tools that I have in my shop. The machine setup is very flexible in that the handle can go right or left and has a quick adjust on it for starting point. Everything operates smoothly and is definitely built to last. No complaints about the construction of the machine.In general I'm disappointed with with myself for the fact that I spent $600+/- on a tool with severe limitations (most of them by the nature of the limited scope of any benchtop mortiser).The maximum depth of your workpiece is 5" unless you purchase the 2" riser block, which I cannot find anywhere on the web. Woodcraft doesn't even have it on their site. So I am chiseling by hand six mortises in a 5.5" deep door stile while my $600+/- mortiser watches me.If you want to mortise the end of piece of wood (say a door rail)... say if you were building a door with loose tenons, you have to do some extensive construction to create a platform from which to work on the end of the member... the head on the PM701 is 180 degree reversible for working off of the table, but it takes a few minutes to set it up.In hindsight I should have purchased a router mortising jig and saved the other $400. Make sure a benchtop mortiser is what you need because is can only do one thing and that is mortise.