Padauk - 2" x 2" x 6"
African Padauk (pterocarpus soyauxii) is a medium to hard wood, color can vary, ranging from a pale pinkish orange to a deep brownish red. Most pieces tend to start reddish orange when freshly cut, darkening substantially over time to a reddish/purplish brown. The grain is generally...
African Padauk (pterocarpus soyauxii) is a medium to hard wood, color can vary, ranging from a pale pinkish orange to a deep brownish red. Most pieces tend to start reddish orange when freshly cut, darkening substantially over time to a reddish/purplish brown. The grain is generally straight to slightly interlocked with a fine to medium texture. Padauk is easy to work, though it does have a moderate blunting effect on cutters. Tearout may also occur during planing on quartersawn or interlocked grain. A popular hardwood among hobbyist woodworkers because of its unique color, some common uses for Padauk include: cabinetry, furniture, veneer, interior paneling, flooring, turned objects, musical instruments, tool handles and other small specialty wood objects.
- Unique reddish orange color
- Excellent choice for outdoor use due to being highly resistant to decay and insect attack
- Glues, turns & finishes well (accepts both oil and water-based finishes)
- Native to Central and tropical West Africa
- Width: 2"
- Length: 6"
- (1) Padauk 2" x 2" x 6" Wood Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut to size from quality, kiln-dried stock.
- The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is dimensioned to within +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are dimensioned to within +/- 1/4" of size listed.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Larger blocks are dimensioned to within +/- 1/4" of size listed.
- Smaller blocks are dimensioned to within +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Spindle stock (1-1/2" T x 2" W) is dimensioned to within +/-1/8" of size listed.
Articles & Blogs
Woodsense: Spotlight Padauk
Top notch customer service
I ordered a Padauk turning blank which was beautiful but had a crack running down the length of it. I emailed customer service and explained the situation. Within 10 minutes of sending that email, I got a notification that a new order was on the way. That’s the type of people that I want to do business with.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 130978
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 07A21
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 06A94
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827343
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 845476
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 841808
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 828465
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 186770
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 186779
Padauk Pen Blanks - 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" - 5 PieceItem 152947