Bocote Knife Scale - 3/8" x 1-1/2" x 5" - 2 Piece
Woodcraft has brought together the most exceptional stock of domestic and exotic hardwood knife scale blanks–1" thick solid stock or matching 3/8" pieces. Each piece was selected for its striking figure and milled to sizes that make the knife-making process easy and efficient with...
Woodcraft has brought together the most exceptional stock of domestic and exotic hardwood knife scale blanks–1" thick solid stock or matching 3/8" pieces. Each piece was selected for its striking figure and milled to sizes that make the knife-making process easy and efficient with minimal waste.
Bocote (Cordia spp.) has a yellowish brown body with dramatic dark brown to almost black stripes. Color tends to darken with age. Also, the grain patterning can be quite striking, particularly on flatsawn areas. It's not uncommon to see many "eyes" and other figuring in Bocote; though unlike knots, they do not seem to present any special challenges in machining. Some species may contain silica that will dull cutters. On the whole, Bocote is easily worked and machined with good results. Common uses include fine furniture, cabinetry, flooring, veneer, boat-building, musical instruments, gunstocks, turned objects, and other small specialty wood items.
- Dramatic dark brown to almost black stripes
- A perfect option for turning custom handles for tools, kitchen utensils, and bottle stoppers
- Turns, glues and finishes well
- Native to Mexico and Central/South America, though certain species occur in Africa
- Thickness: 3/8"
- Width: 1-1/2"
- Length: 5"
- (1) Bocote Knife Scale - 3/8" x 1-1/2" x 5" - 2 Piece Set
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Instructions / MSDS
Articles & Blogs
Craft custom knives for your favorite chef or yourself with Woodcraft’s new ZHEN Premium Damascus Knife Kits and Knife Scale Stock. Designed with the professional chef in mind, ZHEN Knives are the perfect gift for anyone who enjoys cooking, whether an amateur or professional, and making the high quality knives is easy with these kits. Years of Japanese knife making skill and technology go into forging the knife blades in these kits.
Beautiful wood, nicely milled and the two pieces match well. I used the wood for knife scales with Woodcraft's drop point knife. Word to the wise - I used a router and flush trim bit shape the scales to the tang. I tried routing the end grain at the butt of the knife, and got some nasty tearout. My fault of course. But it's very hard wood and will likely splinter if you use this method. Better to shape it with a sanding belt or file than to risk the tearout.
Very Poor Quality
These made expensive fire wood. Not hand selected. Huge knot made one side unusable. Two sides grain did not match up, from two different boards or one board with a lot of distance between the two scales.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159718
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 154606
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160091
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 841213
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153740
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160088
Cousineau Wood ProductsItem 164101
Cousineau Wood ProductsItem 164102
Cousineau Wood ProductsItem 164100
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159386
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 148865