Maple, Hard - 3" x 3" x 36"
Maple (Acer saccharum) sapwood color ranges from nearly white, to an off-white cream color, sometimes with a reddish or golden hue. The heartwood tends to be a darker reddish brown. Fairly easy to work with both hand and machine tools. Maple has a tendency to burn when being machined...
Maple (Acer saccharum) sapwood color ranges from nearly white, to an off-white cream color, sometimes with a reddish or golden hue. The heartwood tends to be a darker reddish brown. Fairly easy to work with both hand and machine tools. Maple has a tendency to burn when being machined with high-speed cutters such as in a router. Turns, glues, and finishes well, though blotches can occur when staining, and a pre-conditioner, gel stain, or toner may be necessary to get an even color. Some common uses for hard maple include flooring (from basketball courts and dance floors to bowling alleys and residential), veneer, pulpwood, musical instruments, cutting boards, butcher blocks, workbenches, baseball bats, and other turned objects and specialty wood items.
- Hard Maple can be up to 25 percent harder than Soft Maple
- Straight grained
- Turns, glues, and finishes well
- Native to eastern North America
- Thickness: 3"
- Width: 3"
- Length: 36"
- (1) Hard Maple - 3" x 3" x 36" - Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
WoodSense: Spotlight on Maple
When a woodworker’s mind turns to maple, it revives images of golden autumn hues, sweet syrup, and honey-colored country furniture. And why not? Fall foliage of the sugar maple (Acer saccharum) draws millions of leaf “peepers” to New England and the Great Lakes’ states each year.
The Woodrow Handcrafted Appalachian Instruments
In our travels to Boston’s New England Home Show, we came across the Woodrow Instrument Company which is located in Southern Appalachian in western North Carolina at the Grove Arcade in downtown Asheville. The Woodrow Company was named after master woodworker, Woodrow Branscombe from Jacksonville Florida. Dan studied under Woodrow for a few years, developing the Appalachian instruments in Woodrow’s shop. Before passing, Woodrow worked in his woodshop into his early 90′s. Woodrow grew up during the depression and being from the old school, he would use every scrap of wood including making projects from pallet wood. Dan said, “The major lesson I learned from Woodrow was his patience working with wood and products, learning how elements react with each other and how to manipulate those elements to make them work together.” Dan remarked, “You can’t buy that lesson in any school!”
I ordered one of these and got it on time. its very clean wood that didn't have a ton of distracting grain. Will order again.
Two pieces of four not too good.
Two of the four pieces were of the same tone. The other two were mixed with a light and dark tone of maple. I cannot use the dual-tone piece for a finished product. I will use them for other things. Next time I order I know to ask first to make sure I get the wood without the dual tone. George
The wood (maple) is nice, clean with the classic mild grain I was wanting - great for my project, of art and function. Delivered promptly as well.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 50W62As Low As $26.99
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 158481
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153327
Hard Maple Baseball Billet - 2-3/4" x 37"Item 160198
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 840483As Low As $41.39
Birdseye Maple - 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 18"Item 159457
Hard Maple 10 Board Foot Lumber PackItem 415350
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153321
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153315
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 147605
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 131557
Ash Baseball Bat Billet - 2-7/8" x 37"Item 152795
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 50W60
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 131554
African Mahogany - 3" x 3" x 36"Item 153318
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153316