Gel Stain - Oil Based - Java - Half Pint
General Finishes® Gel Stains are quite possibly the easiest of all finishes to use and achieve a "hand-rubbed" look without all the work. Application is easy with a foam brush or lint free cloth. The heavy bodied gel formulation permits the product to flow out evenly (no drips or runs)...
- Easy-to-use stains simply wipe on with a cloth or applied with a foam brush (no spills or splashes)
- Heavy-bodied, and so does not penetrate as deeply into the wood as liquid oil-base stains do
- This is the stain that has the most "finishing feel" of all General Finishes' products
- Woodworkers love the lustrous finish of final product
- Gives a more even appearance on hard-to-stain woods like pine, aspen, maple and cherry
- Great adhesion on raw wood, existing finishes, fiberglass and steel doors
- Color: Java
- Size: Half Pint
- Type: Oil based pigmented stain
- Interior/Exterior Use: Rated for interior use only
- Coats: 1+ coats (additional coats can deepen the color of the stain)
- Recommended Use: Interior raw wood surfaces such as cabinets, trim, doors and furniture
- Application Method: Brush, roll, wipe, pad applicator
- Clean-Up: Mineral Spirits
- VOC: <560 g/L
- Coverage: 35-50 sq.ft.
- Ideal Drying Conditions: 70° F and 50% humidity, out of direct sunlight, with good air movement
- Dry Time - Touch: Raw wood (8+ hr), existing finish wipe-off (12-24+ hr)
- Dry Time - Recoat: Raw wood (12-24 hr), existing finish wipe-off (72+ hr)
- Dry Time - Recoat - Applied Over Water Based Product: 72 hr
- (1) General Finishes - Gel Stain - Oil Based - Java - Half Pint
Instructions / MSDS
Articles & Blogs
Join Lori Haught, Woodcraft Marketing Manager and Woodworking Adventures Blogger, for Part III in her series on refurbishing a unique thrift store find — a Telephone Gossip Bench.
Join Lori Haught, Woodcraft Marketing Manager and Woodworking Adventures Blogger, for Part I of a three-part series on refurbishing a unique thrift store find — a Telephone Gossip Bench.
Excellence in a can!
I've been woodworking for over 30 years and while I don't use stain often I have used plenty over the years on various efforts. This is EASILY the best stain I have ever used. I should not be surprised as I'm a huge fan of General Finishes various clear products. This GEL stain is absolutely phenomenal!! ...and this Java color was exactly what I was hoping for to update a couple of pieces for our new guest bedroom. (very contemporary looking) Love my local Woodcraft in Boise, ID. Always top notch service and advice.
We saw the use of this product online for re doing finishes and it was everything that was promised.
Easy product for beginner
LOVE this stain! I have never attempted a staining (or painting, or anything!) project before but after reading a Pinterest tutorial including the product I became inspired to convert an ugly light wood dresser to a beautiful, rich espresso. Product is very easy to apply and after three coats, my junky freebie dresser looks like a brand new piece of designer furniture. If this noob can use it and be successful, you can too! Don't hesitate to give it a go!
The best gel stain I've ever used!
I refinished 2 bathroom vanities with this. They both came out perfect.
This stain covered great and was easy rouse.
This stain was great for my bathroom cabinet re-do. I had the builder's grade, ugly light oak color cabinets, and this java gel color was absolutely beautiful after 3 coats! So easy to apply - anyone can use this product!
First time using gel stain and it was quite easy to apply to my 2 end tables. Loved the expresso color. Used a man's tube sock to apply and a small can goes a long way. Just had to stop myself from overspreading the stain.Will definitely buy again and the customer service and shipping were terrific.
Easy to use with a great end result
I used this to refinish a bathroom vanity and couldn't be happier. It went on smoothly and really covered the older wood even with the blemishes there from age. Love the richness of the color, too!
Easy to stain, no mess!
Found this on pinterest. I'm glad I've tried it. Ordering bigger one for bigger project.
stained bathroom vanity
Easier than another national brand
I have not used on the project it was purchased for yet but the test pieces worked great. The Gel worked much better than an another big name gel stain.
General FinishesItem 826959