13" Benchtop Planer - 2 HP 1 Ph 120V - Helical Cutterhead - JWP-13BT
Shipping Fee of $29.00
Jet® JWP-13BT 13" Helical Head Benchtop Planer will satisfy woodworkers in their shop with power and efficiency. The JPW-13BT produces a smooth and consistent cut surface thanks to the helical-style cutterhead. The cutterhead features 6 rows of 24 quick-change inserts that can be...
- Helical style cutterhead with 6 rows of 24 individual quick change inserts, provides a clean and smooth cut with easy to change blades
- Precision machined cast iron bed and steel cover assist in keeping boards flat and reducing snipe
- Four post design for maximum control and support of cutter head in reference to work piece and cast table
- Dual infeed speed control maximizes cut efficiency on different wood material types
- 1/8" maximum depth of cut, 6" depth and 13" width capacity
- Adjustable folding infeed/outfeed tables
- Toggle switch with removable safety key
- Adjustable depth stop for consistent repetitive cuts
- Dust port hooks up to dust management system and helps keep shop clean
- Type: Benchtop Planer
- Style: Helical Cutterhead
- Motor: 2 HP
- Motor Amps: 15A
- Motor Phase: Single phase
- Motor Voltage: 115V
- Number of Speeds: 2
- Cutterhead Type: Helical Style
- Cutterhead Speed (No Load): 10,000 RPM
- Cutterhead Diameter: 2"
- Number of Knives or Inserts: 24 two-edged high speed steel inserts
- Cuts Per Minute: 20,000
- Maximum Depth of Cut: 1/8"
- Maximum Full Width Depth of Cut: 1/16"
- Maximum Cutting Width: 13"
- Maximum Cutting Thickness: 6"
- Feed Rate: 18 and 26 feet per minute
- Table Size: 13" x 9.8"
- Dust Port: 4" outside diameter
- (1) Jet® 13" Benchtop Planer - 2 HP 1 Ph 120V - Helical Cutterhead - JWP-13BT
- (1) Dust hood
- (1) T-handle hex wrench - 3 mm
- (1) Operating Instructions & Parts Manual
- (1) Product registration card
Shipping / Billing InformationAll shipments must be inspected and any damage reported within 3 days of receipt.
Address corrections and cancellations may not be possible once order is submitted. Requested changes may incur additional charges.
This product ships direct from the manufacturer:
- Your order will ship in 7-10 business days.
- This product is considered special order. Your account will be charged when you place your order.
- Express or overnight shipping is not available for this product.
- Ships by Ground to the 48 contiguous states. Cannot ship to Alaska, Hawaii, PO Boxes, APOs, US Territories, Canada or other foreign countries.
Instructions / MSDS
I bought this planer locally at Woodcraft. The planer I received was made in Taiwan and was very well packed in a heavy box. It requirers minimal set up. (I left the table ends slightly high as that helps with snipe). The base and cutter head frame are very nice aluminum castings not cast iron but if you turn the planer over the bed of the planer is steel/cast iron. (There are multiple circular millings to reduce weight.) The cutters in the steel cutter head, are slightly over lapping HSS segments. (There are carbide replacement blades available). The thickness stop is very clever as is the gauge that estimates the thickness of the cut. (This is a very handy feature.) The dust hood works very well for me because I have overhead duct work. It maybe less convenient for other set ups. Out of the box the planer gave a glassy smooth finish in pine. (I left both in-feed and out-feed tables with the outside edge elevated). There was minimal snipe if I take a fine final cut or feed the board slightly diagonally. ( I will post photos when I figure out how to) The real question is how does in perform in highly figured wood. I was very impressed with its performance on curly maple. No tear out. This was impressive as I nearly destroyed the board going through my standard blade planer. Jet does include a 5 year warranty, which for someone at my age, is almost a lifetime warranty. Yes, this unit is more expensive than many of the other units but I am impressed by the results of the segmented cutter head and the quality of construction.
Not what I was hoping for...
I have to be honest in this one. I have been using this tool for quite some time, and I am not overly enthusiastic about it. Here are some pros and cons... Pros 1) Price is less than any of the big planers that don't have a ton more capacity. 2) This comes with "Helical Style" cutter heads, which I will say leave a pretty nice finish. 3) The dust collection is pretty good. I have this connected to a 4" elbow that pipes directly into my system and I have never had an issue with clogging. Cons 1) The snipe on this thing is RIDICULOUS! I have spent a significant amount of time adjusting my planer and I have managed to minimalize the snipe, but it took a lot of effort and I have to say that despite my best efforts, I still get some decent snipe from time to time. This isn't my first rodeo with a planer, so when I saw that came out after my first few runs, I immediately started adjusting the infeed and outfeed tables. Much to my surprise, I was actually getting pressure/jamming on the infeed side and was still getting snipe! That's flat out crazy... 2) This puppy is pretty darn loud for a "Helical Style" cutter head. It's not any louder than a typical lunchbox style, but don't expect purring kitten... That's pretty much it for now. I guess that I gave this a middle of the road review because I don't hate this thing, but I also don't exactly love it. I can't afford to do it now, but I am thinking that I will upgrade to something bigger in the near future that will also hopefully be less finicky.
Somewhat misleading, it's a segmented head, not helical.
This planer is advertised as a helical head, but in reality it is a segmented head planer. While it does do a great job of planing and has plenty of power, it does have considerably more snipe than the old Makita I replaced. One of the first tests I put it through was curly Maple. By using the low speed setting and taking light passes, I was able to plane that curly Maple almost perfectly free of defects. I think if it was a true helical, it would have been able to take deeper cuts without any chip out, but other than that, I am pretty happy with it.