Spalted Tamarind Knife Scale - 1" x 1-1/2" x 5"
Woodcraft has brought together the most exceptional stock of domestic and exotic hardwood knife scale blanks–1" thick solid stock or matching 3/8" pieces. Each piece was selected for its striking figure and milled to sizes that make the knife-making process easy and efficient with...
Woodcraft has brought together the most exceptional stock of domestic and exotic hardwood knife scale blanks–1" thick solid stock or matching 3/8" pieces. Each piece was selected for its striking figure and milled to sizes that make the knife-making process easy and efficient with minimal waste.
Spalted Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) has a spectacular heartwood with background colors of ivory, yellow and black lines, which gives an unpredictable landscape effect. Grain is wavy and interlocked with a medium uniform texture. Because of its density and interlocked grain, tamarind’s heartwood is notoriously difficult to work. However, the softer sapwood is somewhat friendlier. Although it has a moderate blunting effect on steel-edged tools, it succumbs easily to carbide. Common uses include small turnings and carvings, inlay, chopping blocks, furniture, flooring and boatwork. Due to the nature of the species, bug and worm holes may be present on some blanks and no two are alike. Much of the wood comes from logs that were found on the forest floor.
- Spectacular heartwood with background colors of ivory, yellow and black lines create an unpredictable landscape effect
- Heartwood takes a high natural polish
- Turns, glues, and finishes well
- Native to Laos
- Thickness: 1"
- Width: 1-1/2"
- Length: 5"
- (1) Spalted Tamarind Knife Scale - 1" x 1-1/2" x 5"
- We recommend taking precautions when working with spalted wood, such as using adequate dust-collection equipment and wearing a personal respirator or mask.
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
Beautiful, and hard!
The knife scale block had absolutely gorgeous spalting on one half, so so on the other half, but I only needed one half to finish out my knife handles. The wood is beautiful, hard, and fairly easy to work. with an amber finish, it is unique and eye catching! I think it's a matter of luck on the spalting pattern, but I either got lucky or they pay attention to making sure the blocks are well cut to display the patterns. Definitely recommend.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 154452
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159718
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160088
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160098
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160086
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 131582