Purpleheart - 3" x 6" x 6"
Purpleheart (Peltogyne spp.) is a medium to hardwood with tight, fairly straight grain and moderate to coarse texture. Bright purple when cut, it darkens to a deep purplish brown. Purpleheart is a very strong wood that machines well with sharp tools. Turns and finishes well. The thinner...
Purpleheart (Peltogyne spp.) is a medium to hardwood with tight, fairly straight grain and moderate to coarse texture. Bright purple when cut, it darkens to a deep purplish brown. Purpleheart is a very strong wood that machines well with sharp tools. Turns and finishes well. The thinner boards are well-suited for edging, veneering, marquetry, sides for decorative boxes, bending stock and bent laminations, while the thicker boards are ideal for furniture, paneling, cabinet doors, moldings, drawer sides and fine jewelry boxes.
- Bright purple when cut, it darkens to a deep purplish brown
- Terrific choice for specialty wood items including pens, knife scales and bottle stoppers
- Dimensionally stable hardwood with fairly straight grain
- Works to a medium to high luster
- Native to Central and South America
- Thickness: 3”
- Width: 6”
- Length: 6”
- (1) Purpleheart - 3" x 6" x 6" - Wood Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- ¼" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
WoodSense: Spotlight on Purpleheart
A distinctive color makes it an ideal accent wood.
Red Alert—It's Almost Valentine's Day!
If you are making Valentine’s gifts this year for your sweetheart, let Woodcraft point you in the right direction with some colorful choices for the season that they’re sure to love.
No longer purple
I bought one of these recently (June 2018). When it arrived I sliced an edge to see what was inside. I found it to be already browned and no longer purple. I hoped it was just the outer edges, so I sliced it down the middle and found that it was brown through and through. Neither sanding nor wiping with water or oil did anything to refresh the color. I have other pieces of Purple Heart that are over 10 years old and are still brightly purple colored, so I know what it can look like. This was not what I was hoping for and will be useless for my projects.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159471
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 07A11
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 826921
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 07A23
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 828466
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 840047
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 826686
Spalted Tamarind - 3" x 6" x 6"Item 840038
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 130978
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 07A36