Cherry Pre-Drilled Peppermill Blank - 3" x 3" x 11-3/4"
Making a pepper mill is a fun project that produces a great addition to the kitchen – or a great gift idea for anytime! The biggest obstacle to making a pepper mill of any size is the drilling of the stepped through whole. We’ve solved that problem by pre-drilling our most popular...
Making a pepper mill is a fun project that produces a great addition to the kitchen – or a great gift idea for anytime! The biggest obstacle to making a pepper mill of any size is the drilling of the stepped through whole. We’ve solved that problem by pre-drilling our most popular pepper mill blanks. To make it even easier, we've created a 2 Piece Jamb Chuck set #158353 (sold separately) that will assist putting these pre-drilled pieces on the lathe!
Cherry (Prunus serotina) features heartwood in reddish brown to deep red, with brown flecks, and will naturally darken with age. It is stabile, straight-grained, and has a decent strength-to-weight ratio, though it’s not as hard as some other denser domestic hardwoods. Cherry machines well with sharp tools and it is considered one of the best all-around woods for workability. Cherry is commonly used in furniture construction (chairs, chests, tables, and accessories), high-end kitchen cabinetry, architectural paneling (as veneer), turned items and steam-bent projects, such as Shaker boxes.
- Pre-drilled for easy turning
- Two-piece Cherry blank
- Best color comes with time, apply a clear finish and watch your work mature to a deep, reddish brown
- Native to the Eastern North America with a high population found in the Appalachian and Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania and New York
- Thickness: 3"
- Width: 3"
- Length: 11/-3/4"
- Works with #161463 or #161464 Pepper or Salt Grinder Kits
- Use 2 piece Jamb Chuck set #158353 (sold separately) for easy assembly on the lathe!
- (1) Cherry - Pre-Drilled Peppermill Blank - 3" x 3" x 11-3/4"
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Renowned turner, Keith Lackner creates a Salt and Pepper Mill Matching Set with Woodcraft's WoodRiver pre-drilled mill kits. Making a salt/pepper mill is an enjoyable project that produces a useful kitchen tool or a great “anytime” gift! The biggest obstacle to making a salt/pepper mill of any size is drilling the stepped through hole. We’ve solved the problem by pre-drilling our most popular salt/pepper mill blanks in walnut, cherry, maple, mahogany, and padauk. Follow along to learn how Keith takes us through his step-by-step process.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159367
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 158269
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 158267
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 158902
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159371
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159375
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 152939