Woodcraft Woodshop - Maple, Curly 3/4" x 8" x 24" Dimensioned Wood
Curly maple is not actually a species, but simply a description of a figure in the grain. Curly maple occurs most often in soft maples, but is also seen in hard maples. The heartwood is typically a...
Item 131480Model 3/4" X 5" X 24"
Item 131560Model PAR MC065
Item 131481Model PAR MC057
Item 131479Model PAR MC056
Item 131497Model PAR MC055
Curly maple is not actually a species, but simply a description of a figure in the grain. Curly maple occurs most often in soft maples, but is also seen in hard maples. The heartwood is typically a light tan to reddish brown color and, of course, features a pronounced grain pattern. The sapwood is usually cream colored with a reddish tint. Curly maple is a durable, hard, and dense wood, which carves and turns exceedingly well, and finishes nicely. Curly maple is also referred to as tiger maple, flame or fiddleback maple.
- Linear wave figure is the result of contortions in the grain that reflect light at different angles
- Easily worked
- Turns and planes well
- Does not require fillers to achieve a glass smooth finish
- Accepts finish and paint well
- Dimensions: 3/4" x 8" x 24"
- 100 percent clear of voids, knots or grain pockets.
- Sanded on both sides
- Grain runs with the longest dimension
- Curly Maple is a product of the United States & the western coast of Canada
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, while the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Thin Stock is cut to size from quality, kiln-dried stock. Dimensions are +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Carving and Turning Blocks. Blocks are sawn to +/- ¼" of size listed.