Woodcraft Woodshop - Maple, Curly 3/4" x 6" x 36" Dimensioned Wood
Save 40% Now Through June 30, 2021
Item 131480Model 3/4" X 5" X 24"
Item 147605Model PAR MPL065
Item 131605Model PAR MPLAM 064
Item 163238Model Maple QS 3/4x5x24
Item 131562Model PAR WAL065
Item 179166Model CurlyMpl.75x8x24
Item 166196Model L51-125
Item 161558Model Leopardwood 3/4x6x36
Curly maple is not actually a species, but simply a description of a figure in the grain. Curly maple occurs most often in soft maples, but is also seen in hard maples. The heartwood is typically a light tan to reddish brown color and, of course, features a pronounced grain pattern. The sapwood is usually cream colored with a reddish tint. Curly maple is a durable, hard, and dense wood, which carves and turns exceedingly well, and finishes nicely. Curly maple is also referred to as tiger maple, flame or fiddleback maple.
- Linear wave figure is the result of contortions in the grain that reflect light at different angles
- Easily worked
- Turns and planes well
- Does not require fillers to achieve a glass smooth finish
- Accepts finish and paint well
- Dimensions: 3/4" x 6" x 36"
- 100 percent clear of voids, knots or grain pockets.
- Sanded on both sides
- Grain runs with the longest dimension
- Curly Maple is a product of the United States & the western coast of Canada
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, while the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Thin Stock is cut to size from quality, kiln-dried stock. Dimensions are +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Carving and Turning Blocks. Blocks are sawn to +/- ¼" of size listed.
Articles & Blogs
Guysville, Ohio, resident Myron “Pete” Hart not only plays the mandolin, he makes them as well. The good-humored lead singer of The Hart Brothers band, formed in 1979 with brothers Heamon “Tib” Hart and Arman “Sam” Hart, Pete is a sought-after luthier in addition to being a talented musician and vocalist.
Not so curly, after all.
I bought this piece for a guitar neck and was hoping that it would be highly figured. It was not. The piece technically qualified as "curly," because it did have a few, very faint wavy lines, but other than that, it was completely unremarkable. A local woodcraft location exchanged it for me and I learned not to attempt to buy highly figured wood sight-unseen.
Missed the mark on this one...
Always have been more than pleased with Woodcraft and the products I've received, but this board just wasn't to par. Barely ANY figure in this board at all. Will buy again, but hopeful for better results next time.
High quality wood
I make very personal items for my customers and need the highest quality wood available, I get it here.
I made a music box for one of my granddaughters with this curly maple. A gorgeous piece of wood with outstanding grain patterns and a soft soothing glow emanating from this maple.