Curly Maple - 3/4" x 6" x 36"
Curly Maple is not actually a species, but simply a description of a figure in the grain. Curly Maple occurs most often in soft maples, but is also seen in hard maples. The heartwood is typically a light tan to reddish brown color and, of course, features a pronounced grain pattern. The...
Curly Maple is not actually a species, but simply a description of a figure in the grain. Curly Maple occurs most often in soft maples, but is also seen in hard maples. The heartwood is typically a light tan to reddish brown color and, of course, features a pronounced grain pattern. The sapwood is usually cream colored with a reddish tint. Curly Maple is a durable, hard, and dense wood, which carves and turns exceedingly well, and finishes nicely. Curly Maple is also referred to as Tiger Maple, Flame or Fiddleback Maple. Common uses include small specialty wood items, carvings, turned objects, decorative boxes, and musical instruments.
- Also referred to as Tiger Maple, Flame or Fiddleback Maple
- Unbelievable grain patterns that are curly or fiddlebacked
- Carves, turns, and finishes well
- Native to Northwest USA and West Coast Canada
- Thickness: 3/4"
- Width: 6"
- Length: 36"
- (1) Curly Maple - 3/4" x 6" x 36" - Dimensional Lumber
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Guysville, Ohio, resident Myron “Pete” Hart not only plays the mandolin, he makes them as well. The good-humored lead singer of The Hart Brothers band, formed in 1979 with brothers Heamon “Tib” Hart and Arman “Sam” Hart, Pete is a sought-after luthier in addition to being a talented musician and vocalist.
Not so curly, after all.
I bought this piece for a guitar neck and was hoping that it would be highly figured. It was not. The piece technically qualified as "curly," because it did have a few, very faint wavy lines, but other than that, it was completely unremarkable. A local woodcraft location exchanged it for me and I learned not to attempt to buy highly figured wood sight-unseen.
Missed the mark on this one...
Always have been more than pleased with Woodcraft and the products I've received, but this board just wasn't to par. Barely ANY figure in this board at all. Will buy again, but hopeful for better results next time.
High quality wood
I make very personal items for my customers and need the highest quality wood available, I get it here.
I made a music box for one of my granddaughters with this curly maple. A gorgeous piece of wood with outstanding grain patterns and a soft soothing glow emanating from this maple.