Woodcraft Woodshop - Lignum Vitae 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 6"
Lignum Vitae (Bulnesia sarmientoi) heartwood is dark greenish brown to almost black and sharply demarcated from the pale yellow or cream-colored sapwood. The texture is very fine; grain is strongly...
Item 845473Model Guayacan 1.5x3
Item 158744Model Lignum Vitae 1.5x12
Item 158745Model Lignum Vitae 1.5x18
Item 848997Model Purpleheart 1.5x3
- Suitable for outdoor use and resistant to insect attack
- Known to be one of the hardest and heaviest woods
- Turns and shapes well
- Takes a high polish
- Dimensions: 1.5" x 1.5" x 6"
- Lignum Vitae is a product of Central America and northern South America
- Applications: Tool handles, mallet heads, bearings, bushings, pulley wheels, and turned objects
- Working Characteristics: With sharp tools and patience, it turns well. Aside from turning, however, it is very difficult to work. High resin content makes it difficult to glue.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, while the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Thin Stock. The thin stock is cut to size from quality, kiln-dried stock. Dimensions are +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Carving and Turning Blocks. Blocks are sawn to +/- ¼" of size listed.