Hard Maple Baseball Billet - 2-3/4" x 37"
Turn your own custom hard maple baseball bat with these hand selected baseball bat dowels. These unfinished blanks are 2-3/4" diameter and 37" long and are easily turned for an all-American heirloom baseball bat, perfect to keep or give to friends and family.Maple (Acer saccharum)...
Items You May Need
Micro MeshItem 150859
Turn your own custom hard maple baseball bat with these hand selected baseball bat dowels. These unfinished blanks are 2-3/4" diameter and 37" long and are easily turned for an all-American heirloom baseball bat, perfect to keep or give to friends and family.
Maple (Acer saccharum) sapwood color ranges from nearly white, to an off-white cream color, sometimes with a reddish or golden hue. The heartwood tends to be a darker reddish brown. Fairly easy to work with both hand and machine tools. Maple has a tendency to burn when being machined with high-speed cutters such as in a router. Turns, glues, and finishes well, though blotches can occur when staining, and a pre-conditioner, gel stain, or toner may be necessary to get an even color. Some common uses for hard maple include flooring (from basketball courts and dance floors to bowling alleys and residential), veneer, pulpwood, musical instruments, cutting boards, butcher blocks, workbenches, baseball bats, and other turned objects and specialty wood items.
- Turn your own baseball bat with these hard maple billets
- Straight grained
- Turns, glues, and finishes well
- Native to eastern North America
- Diameter: 2-3/4"
- Length: 37"
- Shape: Round
- (1) Hard Maple Baseball Bat Billet - 2-3/4" x 37"
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
When a woodworker’s mind turns to maple, it revives images of golden autumn hues, sweet syrup, and honey-colored country furniture. And why not? Fall foliage of the sugar maple (Acer saccharum) draws millions of leaf “peepers” to New England and the Great Lakes’ states each year.
Juan Baret is a true inspiration not only in woodworking, but for the American dream. Born in the Dominican Republic, Juan entered the U.S. at 9 years old and became a naturalized citizen when he was 21. He has a very special appreciation for being a U.S. citizen. He is thankful for his education, attaining his master’s degree in business administration and is also very proud to have enlisted in the U.S. Air Force supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom & Operation Enduring Freedom Afghanistan campaigns, serving 9 years as a Staff Sergeant. He continued his support as a civilian with 6 years currently in the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers for a total of 15 service years to date.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 157762
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 157760