Cabinetmaker's Chisel Set, 9 pc. - Best Value
The cabinetmaker's chisel set features classic octagonal boxwood handles - the old favorites of yesteryear's discerning craftsmen. The unique "London pattern" of handle with turned finger contours,...
This kit includes the following items:
- Cabinetmaker's Chisel, 1/8"
- Cabinetmaker's Chisel, 1/4"
- Cabinetmaker's Chisel, 3/8"
- Cabinetmaker's Chisel, 1/2"
- Cabinetmaker's Chisel, 3/4"
- Cabinetmaker's Chisel, 1"
- Cabinetmaker's Chisel, 1-1/4"
- Cabinetmaker's Chisel, 1-1/2"
- Cabinetmaker's Chisel, 2"
- Made in Sheffield, England
- Classic octagonal boxwood handles
- Leather "anti-shock" washer between bolster and handle
- Finely machined bevel-edged blades
- Each chisel is individually inspected and hardness tested
Best of Many Sets Owned
The primary purpose of any wooding tool is working wood. I own five sets of chisels and the Sorby Cabinet Makers are my go to set and have been since 1999. These chisels hold there edge better than any others (including historic Stanley's). Do the rings come off? Sometimes. Can they take heavy use? Without reservation -- YES.
Disappointing Fit and Finish
Blades look and work great. For the price, I expected a finely finished wooden handle and solid construction. At least four of the chisels in the set had brass rings on the striking end that literally fell off coming out of the package - these will need to be re-glued. The Sorby logo looks cheap, with runny ink and the handles just don't have the quality feel one would expect from a high-end chisel set. As for the edges - they were ready to go out of the box - razor sharp and they hold a good edge.