Bloodwood - 3/4" x 6" x 36"
Bloodwood (Brosimium paraense) or "cardinal wood" as it is commonly referred to, is a medium to hard wood with red to crimson color and tight straight interlocking grain. The bright, vivid red color can darken to a darker brownish red over time with exposure to light and air. Applying a...
Bloodwood (Brosimium paraense) or "cardinal wood" as it is commonly referred to, is a medium to hard wood with red to crimson color and tight straight interlocking grain. The bright, vivid red color can darken to a darker brownish red over time with exposure to light and air. Applying a thick protective finish, and keeping the wood out of direct sunlight can help minimize this color shift. Bloodwood is extremely dense, and may have a blunting effect on cutters. It is used for both trim and accents, as well as larger structural elements in furniture. Additional uses may include: case goods, carvings, inlays, guitars, knife handles, and turned objects.
- Popular imported wood species known for being exceptionally hard, durable, strong, and beautiful
- Excellent for turning
- Finishes well leaving an exceptional and lustrous red to crimson surface
- Native to tropical South America
- Thickness: 3/4"
- Width: 6"
- Length: 36"
- (1) Bloodwood - 3/4" x 6" x 36" - Dimensional Lumber
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
In Leroy, West Virginia is a guitarmaker by the name of Jim Sutherland. Jim’s daughter, Carrie Stutler and her husband Ken, assist Jim as well as make their own guitars, mandolins and dulcimers. They do it mainly as a hobby and for fun, but their quality is at a professional level. Each instrument is very well built and each has a unique sound based on the wood type used. Jim gets most of his supplies from Woodcraft in Parkersburg, which makes this story very special. It is not every day we have the honor of presenting you with a story that involves a country music legend such as Dolly Parton, and we are grateful to the Sutherland-Stutler family.
I had to order the bloodwood 2 times. The first order, the product was warped. I contacted Woodcraft and reordered the Bloodwood. I received it today and it arrived in Perfect condition. Hats off to Tara in customer service and the Woodcraft staff involved. I will most certainly continue to order from Woodcraft and first choice.
So I love bloodwood.....I make custom cutting boards.....and this is a remarkably handsome and figurative wood. However, Woodcraft gets some sketchy wood in this genre. Some comes great....some is warped and bowed.......you have to be careful of what you get. My profession requires better than average.....been disappointed some times.....still will go with Woodcraft as they are the best.....bar none!!!
Twisted piece of wood, hard to use, color disappointing, streaks of white.
Bloodwood/Satine 3/4" x 6" x 36"
Make fancy boxes.
I returned this product.
One of the boards was warped and neither had the rich red color of Bloodwood.