Burmese Blackwood Knife Scale - 1" x 1-1/2" x 5"
Woodcraft has brought together the most exceptional stock of domestic and exotic hardwood knife scale blanks–1" thick solid stock or matching 3/8" pieces. Each piece was selected for its striking figure and milled to sizes that make the knife making process easy and efficient with...
Burmese Blackwood (Dalbergia cultrata) is a dense and hard wood with heartwood that is dark blackish-brown with sections of dark red with black or purple streaks. Grain can be irregular. This wood has a uniform medium texture and very good natural luster. Despite its density, it carves, turns and polishes well. Common uses include turned objects, carvings, furniture, inlay, musical instruments (percussion), and small specialty wood items.
- A member of the rosewood family
- Carves and turns well with a very good natural luster
- Finishes well taking a high polish
- Native to Southeast Asia
- Thickness: 1"
- Width: 1-1/2"
- Length: 5"
- (1) Burmese Blackwood Knife Scale - 1" x 1-1/2" x 5"
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Craft custom knives for your favorite chef or yourself with Woodcraft’s new ZHEN Premium Damascus Knife Kits and Knife Scale Stock. Designed with the professional chef in mind, ZHEN Knives are the perfect gift for anyone who enjoys cooking, whether an amateur or professional, and making the high quality knives is easy with these kits. Years of Japanese knife making skill and technology go into forging the knife blades in these kits.
I really love African blackwood, and thought I would give this a try, without the highest of expectations. Well, it finished so smooth and glassy. Very fine grain. Tons of cool streaks. Glued up well. It's similar to most redwood/ blackwoods when cutting; lots of smoke, and probably dulls your bladed. Sanded well. Will definitely purchase more of these blocks for future kitchen knife projects.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160090
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 841213
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159386