Pre-Drilled Sycamore Peppermill Blank
Making a pepper mill is a fun project that produces a great addition to the kitchen – or a great gift idea for anytime! The biggest obstacle to making a pepper mill of any size is the drilling of...
You May Also Like
- Two-piece 3" x 3" x 11-3/4" Sycamore blank
- Pre-drilled for easy turning
- Works with 4" to 10" Pepper Mill Kits (#126637, #126638, #835290 and #126639)
(Platanus occidentalis) Common along riverbanks in the East, the ghostly white Sycamore is an often overlooked hardwood. Sycamore has a whitish to light yellow sapwood with a darker reddish-brown heartwood. The quartersawn face exhibits rays with a distinct conspicuous dark “fleck” or “flake” figure due to its interlocked grain. Sycamore has a closed pore structure and a fine, even texture that is very similar to maple. It works easily with both hand and machine tools, though the interlocked grain can be troublesome in surfacing and machining operations at times. Sycamore turns, glues, and finishes well. Some common uses include: veneer, plywood, interior trim, flooring, furniture, tool handles, and other turned objects. Sycamore is sometimes referred to as “American Plane” in Europe. USA
- A fine, even texture that is similar to Maple
- Distinct ray flecks present on quartersawn surfaces gives it a freckled appearance
- Works easily with both hand and machine tools
- Turns, glues, and finishes well
- A great species that is going through a resurgence in the marketplace
Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, while the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.Thin Stock. The thin stock is cut to size from quality, kiln-dried stock. Dimensions are +/- 1/8" of size listed.Carving and Turning Blocks. Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of size listed.Plywood. Sizes are nominal. Dimensions are +/- 1/8" of size listed.