Walnut - 2" x 2" x 30"
Black walnut (Juglans nigra) heartwood can range from a lighter pale brown to a dark chocolate brown with darker brown streaks. Color can have a grey, purple, or reddish cast. Sapwood is nearly white. It has a medium texture, the grain is usually straight, but it can be irregular. Black...
Black walnut (Juglans nigra) heartwood can range from a lighter pale brown to a dark chocolate brown with darker brown streaks. Color can have a grey, purple, or reddish cast. Sapwood is nearly white. It has a medium texture, the grain is usually straight, but it can be irregular. Black walnut can occasionally also be found with figured grain patterns such as: curly, crotch, and burl. Typically easy to work provided the grain is straight and regular. Planer tearout can sometimes be a problem when surfacing pieces with irregular or figured grain. Common uses include fine furniture, case work, gun stocks, marquetry, musical instruments, paneling, carving, turning and other small wooden objects such as pens, bottle stoppers, knife handles and pepper mills.
- Popular domestic hardwood
- Prized for its rich, dark brown color and ease of use
- Glues, stains and finishes well
- Native to Canada and USA
- Thickness: 2"
- Width: 2"
- Length: 30"
- (1) Walnut - 2" x 2" x 30" - Wood Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Woodsense: Black Walnut
Of the world’s several walnut species, it’s the American black walnut (Juglans nigra) that claims the title of most beautiful. Because of its continuing demand as a classic furniture wood (as well as for its exquisitely figured veneer), black walnut reigns as the nation’s most valuable furniture and cabinet species, even though it represents less than two percent of all commercially available U.S. hardwoods.
Not what it is cracked up to be!
Four purchased lengths to be used as table legs. One of the legs badly warped and torqued required enough removal of wood to be used. Questionable results. I would be skeptical to recommend to a friend to use for exacting projects. Other than that product nice.
not the best, but usable
I bought 4 pieces of this walnut to use to make table legs. One of the pieces was almost completely sap wood. Another was about 50% sap wood. One of the pieces had a significant enough bow to it that by the time I jointed/planed it straight and parallel, I had to scale down the dimensions of the table legs by 1/4" so I could use it. I wish they let you specify that you want all heart wood and that they'd be a little more selective before sending bowed pieces. I normally would buy from a nearby lumber yard; but I had the woodworking bug so badly I didn't want to wait until the weekend to drive to the lumber yard, so I just bought it online. The only time I'll do that again is if the local lumber yard doesn't have what I need.
Walnut 2 x 2's
Used in end grain butcher block cutting board
Wood was straight & nicely grained. Dimensionally accurate, but contained significant color transition down length of piece and last .75" of length unusable for game calls due to chipped/cracked defects and wax (protect end grain?)
good product, will buy again
good straight grain, good color, 4th side not finished. need to remove from two sides to use now it is no longer 2 x 2.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153324
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 50W62As Low As $26.99
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 852108
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 131493
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 50W59
African Mahogany - 2" x 2" x 30"Item 50W61
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153327
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159414
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 07A14
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 07A26