Walnut Thin Stock Pack - 1/4" Thick - 2 Square Foot
Black walnut (Juglans nigra) heartwood can range from a lighter pale brown to a dark chocolate brown with darker brown streaks. Color can have a grey, purple, or reddish cast. Sapwood is nearly white. It has a medium texture, the grain is usually straight, but it can be irregular. Black...
Black walnut (Juglans nigra) heartwood can range from a lighter pale brown to a dark chocolate brown with darker brown streaks. Color can have a grey, purple, or reddish cast. Sapwood is nearly white. It has a medium texture, the grain is usually straight, but it can be irregular. Black walnut can occasionally also be found with figured grain patterns such as: curly, crotch, and burl. Typically easy to work provided the grain is straight and regular. Planer tearout can sometimes be a problem when surfacing pieces with irregular or figured grain. Common uses include fine furniture, case work, gun stocks, marquetry, musical instruments, paneling, carving, turning and other small wooden objects such as pens, bottle stoppers, knife handles and pepper mills.
These premium grade hardwoods are ideal for scroll sawing, intarsia, jewelry boxes, and a variety of other projects. Offered in convenient packs of 2 sq. ft. with random widths (3" to 9"), all with a 24" nominal length. Rough sanded and ready for use, these assortments eliminate hours of material preparation and allow more time for finishing your projects.
- Popular domestic hardwood
- Prized for its rich, dark brown color and ease of use
- Glues, stains and finishes well
- Native to Canada and USA
- Thickness: 1/4"
- Width: Varies from 3" to 9"
- Length: 24" (nominal)
- (1) Walnut Thin Stock Pack - 1/4" Thick - 2 Square Foot
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Not The best quality
Convenient packaging and sale price were plusses. However, the wood soon showed signs of severe cupping and had to be clamped to a flat surface until ai was ready to use it. I bought two packages to insure there would be enough usable wood for the project planned. I was glad I did as there was a significant amount of light colored sap wood, and even remnants of bark olong the edge of one piece. One piece had a large knot with significant cracking that resulted in the loss of 30 square inches. Other pieces had gouges and voids that caused loss of usable wood. The attached photos show the knots and voids. While this isn't sold as dimensional lumber, I still expected there would be less waste material.
Do not examples yet!!!
I anticipate very good scroll saw results with this wood. Have not started this project yet.
Nice wood, a tad pricey
Nice quality wood, is working well for scroll saw projects. A bit expensive for such a small amount...
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827928
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827950
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827938
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827937
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 828198
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827931
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827936
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827932
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827921
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827926