Purpleheart Knife Scale - 1" x 1-1/2" x 5"
Woodcraft has brought together the most exceptional stock of domestic and exotic hardwood knife scale blanks – 1" thick solid stock or matching 3/8" pieces. Each piece was selected for its striking figure and milled to sizes that make the knife making process easy and efficient with...
Purpleheart (Peltogyne spp.) is a medium to hardwood with tight, fairly straight grain and moderate to coarse texture. Bright purple when cut, it darkens to a deep purplish brown. Purpleheart is a very strong wood that machines well with sharp tools. Works to a medium to high luster. The thinner boards are well-suited for edging, veneering, marquetry, sides for decorative boxes, knife making, bending stock and bent laminations, while the thicker boards are ideal for furniture, paneling, cabinet doors, moldings, drawer sides and fine jewelry boxes.
- Bright purple when cut, it darkens to a deep purplish brown
- Dimensionally stable hardwood with fairly straight grain
- Turns and finishes well
- Native to Central and South America
- Thickness: 1”
- Width: 1-1/2”
- Length: 5”
- (1) Purpleheart Knife Scale - 1" x 1-1/2" x 5"
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Co-hosts Scott and Suzy Phillips return to PBS on Monday, January 10, with 13 new episodes of The American Woodshop based on the theme, “Recycle & Reclaim!” Woodcraft and Woodcraft Magazine sponsor the popular woodworking public television series.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160086
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153740
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160098
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 131582
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160090
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 841213
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153746