Maple Pre-Drilled Peppermill Blank - 3" x 3" x 11-3/4"
Maple (Acer saccharum) sapwood color ranges from nearly white, to an off-white cream color, sometimes with a reddish or golden hue. The heartwood tends to be a darker reddish brown. Fairly easy to work with both hand and machine tools. Maple has a tendency to burn when being machined...
Maple (Acer saccharum) sapwood color ranges from nearly white, to an off-white cream color, sometimes with a reddish or golden hue. The heartwood tends to be a darker reddish brown. Fairly easy to work with both hand and machine tools. Maple has a tendency to burn when being machined with high-speed cutters such as in a router. Turns, glues, and finishes well, though blotches can occur when staining, and a pre-conditioner, gel stain, or toner may be necessary to get an even color. Some common uses for hard maple include flooring (from basketball courts and dance floors to bowling alleys and residential), veneer, pulpwood, musical instruments, cutting boards, butcher blocks, workbenches, baseball bats, and other turned objects and specialty wood items.
Making a pepper mill is a fun project that produces a great addition to the kitchen – or a great gift idea for anytime! The biggest obstacle to making a pepper mill of any size is the drilling of the stepped through whole. We’ve solved that problem by pre-drilling our most popular pepper mill blanks. To make it even easier, we've created a 2pc Jamb Chuck set #158353 (sold separately) that will assist putting these pre-drilled pieces on the lathe!
- Pre-drilled for easy turning
- Two-piece Maple blank
- Glues and finishes well
- Native to eastern North America
- Thickness: 3"
- Width: 3"
- Length: 11-3/4"
- Compatibility: Works with #161463 or #161464 Pepper or Salt Grinder Kits
- Use the 2 Piece Jamb Chuck Set #158353 (sold separately) for easy assembly on the lathe!
- (1) Maple Pre-Drilled Peppermill Blank - 3" x 3" x 11-3/4"
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Renowned turner, Keith Lackner creates a Salt and Pepper Mill Matching Set with Woodcraft's WoodRiver pre-drilled mill kits. Making a salt/pepper mill is an enjoyable project that produces a useful kitchen tool or a great “anytime” gift! The biggest obstacle to making a salt/pepper mill of any size is drilling the stepped through hole. We’ve solved the problem by pre-drilling our most popular salt/pepper mill blanks in walnut, cherry, maple, mahogany, and padauk. Follow along to learn how Keith takes us through his step-by-step process.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 158266
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 158269
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 158902
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159371
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159367
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159375
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 157762