Padauk - 3" x 6" x 6"
African Padauk (pterocarpus soyauxii) is a medium to hard wood, color can vary, ranging from a pale pinkish orange to a deep brownish red. Most pieces tend to start reddish orange when freshly cut, darkening substantially over time to a reddish/purplish brown. The grain is generally...
African Padauk (pterocarpus soyauxii) is a medium to hard wood, color can vary, ranging from a pale pinkish orange to a deep brownish red. Most pieces tend to start reddish orange when freshly cut, darkening substantially over time to a reddish/purplish brown. The grain is generally straight to slightly interlocked with a fine to medium texture. Padauk is easy to work, though it does have a moderate blunting effect on cutters. Tearout may also occur during planing on quartersawn or interlocked grain. A popular hardwood among hobbyist woodworkers because of its unique color, some common uses for Padauk include: cabinetry, furniture, veneer, interior paneling, flooring, turned objects, musical instruments, tool handles and other small specialty wood objects.
- Unique reddish orange color
- Excellent choice for outdoor use due to being highly resistant to decay and insect attack
- Glues, turns & finishes well (accepts both oil and water-based finishes)
- Native to Central and tropical West Africa
- Thickness: 3"
- Width: 6"
- Length: 6"
- (1) Padauk - 3" x 6" x 6" - Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut to size from quality, kiln-dried stock.
- The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is dimensioned to within +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are dimensioned to within +/- 1/4" of size listed.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Larger blocks are dimensioned to within +/- 1/4" of size listed.
- Smaller blocks are dimensioned to within +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Spindle stock (1-1/2" T x 2" W) is dimensioned to within +/-1/8" of size listed.
Articles & Blogs
Woodsense: Spotlight Padauk
There’s redwood, which grows in California, and then there’s RED wood. If it’s the color you’re after, definitely consider padauk.
Can be finicky
I would definitely use it again to turn future bowls and use my first experience to guide me.
I made a turned box with this for mothers day, Sanded to 600 and applied mylands friction polish. Its beautiful.
Turns well, slightly open grained, beautiful color variation. Using to make turkey pots for slate calls. Resonates very well, takes a nice polish. Also good for knife handles. Cons: color oxidies to darker brown with time.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 07A21
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 841808
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 828465
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 826686
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 840047
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 06A94
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 130977
Spalted Tamarind - 3" x 6" x 6"Item 840038
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 07A36
Padauk Pre-Drilled Peppermill Blank - 3" x 3" x 9"Item 159375