Gel Stain - Oil Based - Brown Mahogany - Half Pint
General Finishes® Gel Stains are quite possibly the easiest of all finishes to use and achieve a "hand-rubbed" look without all the work. Application is easy with a foam brush or lint free cloth. The heavy bodied gel formulation permits the product to flow out evenly (no drips or runs)...
- Easy-to-use stains simply wipe on with a cloth or applied with a foam brush (no spills or splashes)
- Heavy-bodied, and so does not penetrate as deeply into the wood as liquid oil-base stains do
- This is the stain that has the most "finishing feel" of all General Finishes' products
- Woodworkers love the lustrous finish of final product
- Gives a more even appearance on hard-to-stain woods like pine, aspen, maple and cherry
- Great adhesion on raw wood, existing finishes, fiberglass and steel doors
- Color: Brown Mahogany
- Size: Half pint
- Type: Oil based pigmented stain
- Interior/Exterior Use: Rated for interior use only
- Coats: 1+ coats (additional coats can deepen the color of the stain)
- Recommended Use: Interior raw wood surfaces such as cabinets, trim, doors and furniture
- Application Method: Brush, roll, wipe, pad applicator
- Clean-Up: Mineral Spirits
- VOC: <560 g/L
- Coverage: 35-50 sq.ft.
- Ideal Drying Conditions: 70° F and 50% humidity, out of direct sunlight, with good air movement
- Dry Time - Touch: Raw wood (8+ hr), existing finish wipe-off (12-24+ hr)
- Dry Time - Recoat: Raw wood (12-24 hr), existing finish wipe-off (72+ hr)
- Dry Time - Recoat - Applied Over Water Based Product: 72 hr
- (1) General Finishes - Gel Stain - Oil Based - Brown Mahogany - Half Pint
Instructions / MSDS
Great way to update the look of oak
I found out about this gel stain on Pinterest. I had to try it because bloggers and pinners raved about the results and how easy it was to use. I couldn't wait to update the look of an oak table that I loved, but didn't match my new espresso kitchen. Being that the gel sits on top rather than soaking into the wood means only a light sanding, steel wool finish and no stripping. The gel goes on evenly as long as you put enough on, then wipe off the excess. On the first coat, I didn't know exactly how much was excess. No problem, I lightly sanded and added 2 more coats (wiping all of each off) to achieve a darker color, applied a finish coat and achieved perfection. With the still wet rags I wiped over my barstool footrails and kitchen cabinets where there were a few nicks and wear marks. Everything looks new and I feel so talented!
I used these stains to redo my half bathroom cabinets, all of my kitchen cabinets and the wetbar. Next is my foyer stairway. It's easy to work with, although it is time consuming, but the results are beautiful. If it is your first time, the Java color is more forgiving as it is darker and covers better so your mistakes are less noticeable.
Love this color
Refinishing base boards and hollow core doors and was looking for something other than painting... started in a bathroom ... trim and door.. and OH WOW!!! cheap old hollow-core door is amazing!!! and the trim doesn't look like old nasty pine anymore!!! If you are looking for a inexpensive update try this stuff!!! Ordered more tonight to start doing the rest of the house!!!
General FinishesItem 826959
General FinishesItem 826968