Bocote - 3" x 3" x 12"
Bocote (Cordia spp.) has a yellowish brown body with dramatic dark brown to almost black stripes. Color tends to darken with age. Also, the grain patterning can be quite striking, particularly on flatsawn areas. It's not uncommon to see many "eyes" and other figuring in Bocote; though...
Bocote (Cordia spp.) has a yellowish brown body with dramatic dark brown to almost black stripes. Color tends to darken with age. Also, the grain patterning can be quite striking, particularly on flatsawn areas. It's not uncommon to see many "eyes" and other figuring in Bocote; though unlike knots, they do not seem to present any special challenges in machining. Some species may contain silica that will dull cutters. On the whole, Bocote is easily worked and machined with good results. Common uses include fine furniture, cabinetry, flooring, veneer, boat-building, musical instruments, gunstocks, turned objects, and other small specialty wood items.
- Dramatic dark brown to almost black stripes
- A perfect option for turning custom handles for tools, kitchen utensils, and bottle stoppers
- Turns, glues and finishes well
- Native to Mexico and Central/South America, though certain species occur in Africa
- Thickness: 3"
- Width: 3"
- Length: 12"
- (1) Bocote - 3" x 3" x 12" - Wood Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Very Easy to Turn and Has Incredible Grain
Contrary to the other review, I did not experience cracking of any sort. This wood was very easy to turn. The grain and distribution is very eye catching
This is pretty but it developed many cracks as soon as the wax came off the ends. I did use a couple pieces for a pepper mill and crossing my fingers that it won't crack further and ruin the piece, which was a gift. Frankly, I'm not sure what these waxed woods are supposed to be used for if they crack and split, or maybe they shouldn't be sold here in AZ...
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160176
Spalted Tamarind - 3" x 3" x 12"Item 842328
Laminated Hardwood - 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3"Item 159415
Bocote - 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 12"Item 124126
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 838723
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 125367
Spalted Tamarind - 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 12"Item 842800
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 834621
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 130977
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 826660
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 07A21
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 06A94
Exotic Cutting Board Kit - 1-1/2" x 9-7/8" x 16" - Brownheart, Maple, Marblewood, Purpleheart & WengeItem 163697
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 840479
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 828465
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 828466