Woodcraft Woodshop - Maple Burl Big Leaf - 2-1/2" x 6" x 6"
Big Leaf Maple Burl (Acer macrophyllum) has figure consisting of swirly, unpredictable grain patterns with light to dark variations of cream brown to dark brown color. Natural edges, bark...
Item 153214Model Maple Burl 2.5x8
Item 153212Model Maple Burl 2.5x4
Item 131075Model 2 x 6 x 6\"
Item 131009Model 3\" X 6\" X 6\"
Item 163147Model Maple Fig 2.5x6x6
Item 149760Model BE AAA 1.5X1.5X5\"
Item 131076Model 2 x 8 x 8\"
Big Leaf Maple Burl (Acer macrophyllum) has figure consisting of swirly, unpredictable grain patterns with light to dark variations of cream brown to dark brown color. Natural edges, bark inclusions and internal voids may be present and are not considered defects (in fact, they usually add character to a piece). Big leaf maple burl can be somewhat difficult to turn because of its unpredictable grain. It does, however, polish very nicely. It can create interesting turnings such as pens, bottle stoppers, bowls and ornaments. It is also great to cut into slices for clock making, or thin slabs for beautiful box tops.
- Unique figure adds great character to a work piece
- May have Natural Edge
- Finishes well
- Native to North America
- Thickness: 2-1/2"
- Width: 6"
- Length: 6"
- (1) Maple Burl Big Leaf - 2-1/2" x 6" x 6" - Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Instructions / MSDS
Articles & Blogs
During last year’s WoodExpo 2011 at the New England Home Show, we featured a blog on Kevin Mack Fine Furniture. Kevin is located in Malden, Massachusetts and can also be found online at
www.kevinmackfinefurniture.net. The Mack attack is back at the 2012 show with 5 new fantastic entries showing off his creativity and woodworking expertise. The main goal for all 5 pieces was to create 3 color tones in each piece.
Great Burl with Natural Edge
I've purchased a total of 5 of these big leaf maple burls now, two in store, three on line. Unlike other reviewers my experience has been all positive. All five pieces have had generous natural edge. All pieces were solid, no knots, no voids, and all curly burl pattern. For this price on dried and ready to use burl wood, you just cannot go wrong. Just my experience.
Don't believe the picture
I bought this because i wanted to turn a bowl with a "natural" edge. What i received was a square piece of stock no different than any other stock with four table saw cut edges. Somebody needs to change the photo. Won't buy Turning stock from here again.