WoodRiver - Fingernail Bowl Gouge 1/2"
This high quality turning tool is designed to meet the needs of any skill level wood turner, from beginner to demanding professional. This gouge is ideal for making bowls and is a must in the shop...
• High speed steel blades are hardened to Rc 62-64
• Set in extra long 16" hardwood handles with brass ferrules
• Extra length of the handles allows greater control and comfort for those long turning sessions
• High speed steel blades stay sharp up to six times longer than carbon steel
• Available exclusively at Woodcraft, these tools represent great value and quality
High quality components
This is a very nice gouge; heavy-duty steel and large, comfortable handles. The problem is that the grind the factory puts on makes it impossible to use. I tried every configuration I knew, and a couple that friends suggested. Nothing worked - the factory grind leaves a very small point and straight sides (identical to a V-shaped carving chisel) which cannot be engaged without a severe catch. Regrinding was a chore, to put it mildly. The steel is very hard, and a lot of it has to be removed to make it useable. Once the grind is fixed, it is a joy to use. If it came ready to use out of the box, I wouldn't hesitate to give it five stars. With all the work required to make it useable, however, three stars is generous. If you don't mind spending a few hours at the grinding wheel, this is a great gouge. If you prefer woodworking to metalworking, it may not be for you.
Does a great Job
I pruchased this fingernail gouge to hollow out bowls. It does a great job. It has the grith to take care of vibration. The lenght is great for the work I choose it for, hollowing out medium to shallow depth forms with out a lot of vibration.