Woodcraft Woodshop - Walnut - 3/4" x 6" x 36"
Save 25% Now Through November 30, 2021
Item 827939Model TS WAL 1/4"
Item 166196Model L51-125
Black walnut (Juglans nigra) heartwood can range from a lighter pale brown to a dark chocolate brown with darker brown streaks. Color can have a grey, purple, or reddish cast. Sapwood is nearly white. It has a medium texture, the grain is usually straight, but it can be irregular. Black walnut can occasionally also be found with figured grain patterns such as: curly, crotch, and burl. Typically easy to work provided the grain is straight and regular. Planer tearout can sometimes be a problem when surfacing pieces with irregular or figured grain. Some common uses for black walnut include: fine furniture, case work, gun stocks, marquetry, musical instruments, paneling, carving, turning and other small wooden objects such as pens, bottle stoppers, knife handles and pepper mills.
- Popular domestic hardwood
- Prized for its rich, dark brown color and ease of use
- Glues, stains and finishes well
- Native to Canada and USA
- Thickness: 3/4"
- Width: 6"
- Length: 36"
- (1) Walnut - 3/4" x 6" x 36" - Dimensional Lumber
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Of the world’s several walnut species, it’s the American black walnut (Juglans nigra) that claims the title of most beautiful. Because of its continuing demand as a classic furniture wood (as well as for its exquisitely figured veneer), black walnut reigns as the nation’s most valuable furniture and cabinet species, even though it represents less than two percent of all commercially available U.S. hardwoods.
Woodcraft is proud to sponsor Fresh Wood and you can help too!
During last year’s WoodExpo 2011 at the New England Home Show, we featured a blog on Kevin Mack Fine Furniture. Kevin is located in Malden, Massachusetts and can also be found online at
www.kevinmackfinefurniture.net. The Mack attack is back at the 2012 show with 5 new fantastic entries showing off his creativity and woodworking expertise. The main goal for all 5 pieces was to create 3 color tones in each piece.
our Fall 2021 Woodcraft
Catalog, we featured a short scoop on a Checkerboard build with one of our
interns, Nikhil Narwani. Although his only woodworking experience was in the
novice category of woodturning pens, he wanted to take this opportunity to
learn more. No better time and place to add to his resume with this experience,
than with Woodcraft and its staff of
experienced woodworkers both at the Parkersburg Woodcraft store
and from our corporate
office. You can have fun being the “King” of the workshop with this enjoyable
project build and in playing the game; it’s a win-win for everyone!
Walnut Cherry order
The store I ordered from is only 70 miles from our home and just across The Ohio River from my wife's home town. This store is close enough to drive to but why when my order arrived in two days. The quality of the wood was what I was expecting I plan on making many more orders. If I have a problem with an order I can return it by truck then do some visiting in Ohio. Great quality
I am a returning customer
I build Native american style Flutes. This is as good as it gets, without hand picking my own wood..
Used in a toy truck. Good quality lumber.
I am buying this again
I build boxes and this is great for what I do
"I would buy this product again and agai
Walnut 3/4x6x36" plank
I am very happy with the quality of the walnut but was expecting a finished board to be delivered. One of the long edges was unfinished and very frayed and I spent a lot of time sanding down the edge and making sure it was even. It would have been better to receive a finished board. I know other places would provide boards without such bad edges.