Walnut - 1/16" x 3" x 24"
Black walnut (Juglans nigra) heartwood can range from a lighter pale brown to a dark chocolate brown with darker brown streaks. Color can have a grey, purple, or reddish cast. Sapwood is nearly white. It has a medium texture, the grain is usually straight, but it can be irregular. Black...
- Popular domestic hardwood
- Prized for its rich, dark brown color and ease of use
- Glues, stains and finishes well
- Native to Canada and USA
- Thickness: 1/16"
- Width: 3"
- Length: 24"
- (1) Walnut - 1/16" x 3" x 24" - Dimensional Lumber
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Of the world’s several walnut species, it’s the American black walnut (Juglans nigra) that claims the title of most beautiful. Because of its continuing demand as a classic furniture wood (as well as for its exquisitely figured veneer), black walnut reigns as the nation’s most valuable furniture and cabinet species, even though it represents less than two percent of all commercially available U.S. hardwoods.
During last year’s WoodExpo 2011 at the New England Home Show, we featured a blog on Kevin Mack Fine Furniture. Kevin is located in Malden, Massachusetts and can also be found online at
www.kevinmackfinefurniture.net. The Mack attack is back at the 2012 show with 5 new fantastic entries showing off his creativity and woodworking expertise. The main goal for all 5 pieces was to create 3 color tones in each piece.
Woodcraft Walnut Inlay
I used Woodcraft supplied 1/16 walnut and 3/8 walnut plugs to finish this Maple cutting board. [See Photos]