Woodcraft Woodshop - Stabilized Spalted Tamarind Knife Scale - 1" x 1-1/2" x 5" - Dyed Violet
Spalted Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) has a spectacular heartwood with background colors of ivory, yellow and black lines, which gives an unpredictable landscape effect. Much of the wood comes from...
Item 161544Model K89-161
Item 174108Model K89-162
Item 174110Model K89-163
Item 161532Model K89-158
Item 161536Model K89-159
Item 154452Model K89-156
Item 161540Model K89-160
Item 161528Model K89-157
Item 154451Model K89-155
Item 152891Model K88-155
Spalted Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) has a spectacular heartwood with background colors of ivory, yellow and black lines, which gives an unpredictable landscape effect. Much of the wood comes from logs that were found on the forest floor. We have collected some of the most highly figured pieces and improved on Mother Nature by stabilizing them by injecting an acrylic resin. The resin used in the stabilized scales ensures smooth turning and a finished product that can be polished to a high luster. In addition, stabilization virtually eliminates the biggest problem with wooden knife scales, checking and cracking due to expansion or contraction.
- Turns and finishes well
- Knife scale has been dyed a vibrant violet
- Stabilization provides better durability than traditional wood
- Knife scales are the perfect application for stabilized wood
- Native to Laos
- Thickness: 1"
- Width: 1-1/2"
- Length: 5"
- Color: Dyed Violet
- Due to the nature of the species, bug and worm holes may be present on some blanks and no two are alike.
- Use of personal protection equipment (or PPE), such as respirators and safety glasses, is recommended while shaping, forming and sanding.
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock and surfaced on 2 sides.
- The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is dimensioned to within +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are dimensioned to within +/- ¼" of size listed.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Larger blocks are dimensioned to within +/- 1/4" of size listed.
- Smaller blocks are dimensioned to within +/- 1/8" of size listed.
- Spindle stock (1-1/2" T x 2" W) is dimensioned to within +/-1/8" of size listed.