Marine Spar Urethane Varnish - Gloss - Gallon
System Three® Spar Varnish is a urethane enhanced film finish formulated to protect against the harshest salt water and marine environments, as well as provide protection for your outdoor projects. It contains UV absorbers and other additives that help it combat the worst that nature...
System Three® Spar Varnish is a urethane enhanced film finish formulated to protect against the harshest salt water and marine environments, as well as provide protection for your outdoor projects. It contains UV absorbers and other additives that help it combat the worst that nature has to offer. System Three Spar Varnish, like all outdoor film finishes, is more elastic and a bit softer to enable it to move with the wood as it expands and contracts with the seasons. It’s a good finish for outdoor furniture and projects in general but like all outdoor finishes, it could use a little help – a good base underneath to keep it looking good longer. We recommend sealing the wood underneath with a good waterproofing sealer.
The number one enemy of an outdoor film finish is moisture that gets into the wood and underneath the finish. Moisture makes its way into the wood via the wood actually breathing (a result of not sealing the wood off from ambient moisture in the air), as well as through micro fissures in the topcoat caused by temperature extremes and UV radiation. So, if you’re contemplating a film finish for your outdoor furniture – consider using a good sealer underneath. A sealer will combat this “breathing” the wood does and be a barrier to prevent moisture from expanding underneath the topcoat, even if it manages to get through the micro fissures. The bonus for this hard work is your finish will look good well beyond what you might otherwise expect…but not forever.
Start with a good sealer such as System Three Clear Coat. If it’s going to be outside all the time all year long and even if it’s not, System Three recommends encapsulating the wood with System Three Clear Coat prior to assembly. This will effectively stop the wood from breathing and provide an excellent base for the topcoat to adhere to plus it will stop moisture from spreading underneath the finish through micro fissures. Be advised that even if you follow all these recommendations, you will still need to take steps to care for your project in the off-season and to eventually apply a new coat or two of finish or remove the old finish down to the Clear Coat and recoat the piece. However, following our suggestions will keep your Adirondack chair or other outdoor project looking good longer, and it will be easier to recoat when necessary.
- Designed for marine and exterior wood surfaces
- Offers excellent protection from salt air and water
- Contains ultraviolet light absorbers that protect finish from exposure to sunlight
- Formulated to cure properly over System Three epoxy products
- Does not require sanding between coats when additional coats are applied within 24 hours
- VOC compliant
- Type: Oil-modified urethane polymer
- Size: Gallon
- Sheen: Gloss
- Color: Very light amber
- Interior/Exterior Use: designed for exterior use
- Recommended Use: Directed at, but not limited to, the finishing and coating of wood
- Application Method: brush, roll, spray
- Coats: varies per project (see PDF System Three Clear Finishing of Outdoor Wood)
- Coverage: 400-500 sq.ft.
- Minimum Application Temperature: 50°F
- Maximum Application Temperature: 95°F
- Ideal Drying Conditions: 77° F and 50% humidity
- Dry Time - Tack Free: 4-6 hours
- Dry Time - Dust Free: 8-12
- Dry Time - Recoat: 12-24 hours
- Dry Time - Complete Cure: 14 days
- Clean-Up: mineral spirits or lacquer thinner
- Material VOC (g/L) 440-450 g/L
- (1) Marine Spar Urethane Varnish - Gloss - Gallon
- Please see the PDF from System Three (link on this page) for more information on finishing outdoor wood.
Shipping / Billing Information
This product ships direct from the manufacturer:
- Your order will ship in approximately 5 business days.
- This product is considered special order. Your account will be charged when you place your order.
- Express or overnight shipping is not available for this product.
- Ships by Ground to the 48 contiguous states. Cannot ship to Alaska, Hawaii, PO Boxes, APOs, US Territories, Canada or other foreign countries.
Returns for System Three products will not be accepted without prior authorization. A restocking fee of 20% is charged on all returnable merchandise. No adjustments or returns will be made after 30 days from the invoice date. Shipments returned to System Three because the carrier is unable to deliver to the address provided by the customer will be charged the standard 20% restocking fee unless the goods are reshipped at the customer's expense.
Packages showing minor damage should be accepted. Refuse your shipment if it appears to be greatly damaged or leaking. Your refusal of a damaged package preserves System Three's right to help get your money back or your merchandise replaced. Note all damages on your delivery receipt or bill of lading. Call System Three @ 800-333-5514 for help handling your damaged shipment claim.
Instructions / MSDS
General FinishesItem 175550
General FinishesItem 813297
General FinishesItem 148384
General FinishesItem 148412