Redheart - 2" x 2" x 12"
The bright red background of Redheart (Erythroxylon mexicanum) is host to a number of very interesting streaks and closed knots. It is smooth and tight grained, and sands to a nice workable surface. Redheart does not tear out when planed, and is nice for scroll sawing. In many ways it...
The bright red background of Redheart (Erythroxylon mexicanum) is host to a number of very interesting streaks and closed knots. It is smooth and tight grained, and sands to a nice workable surface. Redheart does not tear out when planed, and is nice for scroll sawing. In many ways it is similar to Bloodwood in character and color without the possibility of allergic reaction from the dust. Common uses for Redheart include turned objects, inlays, veneer, fine furniture, and small specialty wood items.
- Sometimes fades to a deeper red/red-brown with age
- Similar to Bloodwood in character and color
- Sands and polishes well
- Native to Mexico/Central America
- Thickness: 2”
- Width: 2”
- Length: 12”
- (1) Redheart - 2" x 2" x 12" Wood Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Redheart really lives up to its name. Its scarlet heartwood resembles something Walt Disney would have dreamed up.
Wood is WET/GREEN, not ready to use!
On 10-28-2013 I bought these 2x2x12 blanks to make Christmas gifts with, but the wood is obviously still green.....freshly cut. 30% moisture content means several months ahead of me for drying, so this deal was a bust for me. The color is great and the dimensions were spot on, blanks were very well protected/waxed. GREEN LUMBER SHOULD BE CLEARLY SOLD AS SUCH SO BUYERS CAN PLAN ACCORDINGLY!
It is a real pleasure to turn with this wood, it cuts smoothly and doesn't fight back when the tools are "less than sharp". That said, I would not say that it's a soft wood. The color is gorgeous! I've put waxes and oils with very satisfying results. Redheart is definately going to be one of my "go to" woods.
Great piece of wood!
I used this with some zebrawood to make some dogeared boxes, and the redheart glows ruby red!
this wood has beautiful grain design. Perfect for special gifts.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 834393
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827343
American Holly - 2" x 2" x 12"Item 149071
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 154271
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 827376
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 131565
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 150998
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 826659
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 834621
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 154603