Woodcraft Woodshop - Mahogany, African Pre-Drilled Peppermill Blank - 3" x 3" x 11-3/4"
Making a pepper mill is a fun project that produces a great addition to the kitchen – or a great gift idea for anytime! The biggest obstacle to making a pepper mill of any size is the drilling of...
Item 158266Model PAR CHY039D
Item 158902Model PAR WAL039D
Item 158267Model Maple PM Predrill
Item 159375Model Padauk PM PD 3x9
Item 159371Model Walnut PM PD 3x9
Item 158236Model Mahogany Afr 4x4x8
Item 159367Model Cherry PM PD 3x9
Item 838037Model Afr Blkwood Bell
Item 50W61Model PAR AM013.30
Making a pepper mill is a fun project that produces a great addition to the kitchen – or a great gift idea for anytime! The biggest obstacle to making a pepper mill of any size is the drilling of the stepped through whole. We’ve solved that problem by pre-drilling our most popular pepper mill blanks. To make it even easier, we've created a 2pc Jamb Chuck set #158353 that will assist putting these pre-drilled pieces on the lathe!
African Mahogany (Khaya spp.) offers lovers of "Genuine Mahogany" an affordable alternative within the Khaya genus. The heartwood is a light pink-brown that darkens when cut to a reddish brown. It has a medium to coarse texture and a straight to interlocked grain, which can yield a striped or roe figure. Easy to work, glue, and finish. Tearout can sometimes be a problem if the grain is interlocked. Common uses include furniture and cabinetry, paneling, boat building, veneer, office and shop fixtures, interior joinery, staircase banisters, handrails and domestic flooring.
- Pre-drilled for easy turning
- Two-piece African Mahogany blank
- Accepts glue and finish well
- Native to West tropical Africa
- Thickness: 3"
- Width: 3"
- Length: 11-3/4""
- Compatibility: Works with #161463 or #161464 Pepper or Salt Grinder Kits
- Use 2-Piece Jamb Chuck Set #158353 for easy assembly on the lathe!
- (1) African Mahogany - Pre-Drilled Peppermill Blank - 3" x 3" x 11-3/4"
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Renowned turner, Keith Lackner creates a Salt and Pepper Mill Matching Set with Woodcraft's WoodRiver pre-drilled mill kits. Making a salt/pepper mill is an enjoyable project that produces a useful kitchen tool or a great “anytime” gift! The biggest obstacle to making a salt/pepper mill of any size is drilling the stepped through hole. We’ve solved the problem by pre-drilling our most popular salt/pepper mill blanks in walnut, cherry, maple, mahogany, and padauk. Follow along to learn how Keith takes us through his step-by-step process.