Red Palm Knife Scale - 3/8" x 1-1/2" x 5" - 2 Piece
Woodcraft has brought together the most exceptional stock of domestic and exotic hardwood knife scale blanks, either 1"-thick solid stock or matching 3/8" pieces. Each piece is selected for its striking figure, and blanks are milled to sizes that make the knife making process easy and...
Red Palm (Cocos nucifera) or Coconut Palm is an exotic wood that comes from the outer hardened area of a type of palm tree that is found in Australia and Southeast Asia. Reddish brown fibers are embedded in a lighter tan or light brown colored body. Red Palm has a medium to fine texture with straight grain. While the wood is called black or red, it actually has black or red flecks in a streaked pattern on a light or deep tan background. The distinctive end grain has an extremely interesting speckled appearance. This wood is hard and heavy and the bundles can be quite stringy, so extremely sharp tools are required. Common uses include walking sticks, knife and tool handles, carvings, furniture and turned objects.
- Wood is hard, dense and extremely durable but not heavy
- Despite being somewhat difficult to work with, makes for phenomenal-looking finished products
- Tends to absorb larger quantities of finish, so care must be taken during finishing; a sanding sealer is recommended
- Native to Southeast Asia
- Thickness: 3/8"
- Width: 1-1/2"
- Length: 5"
- (1) Red Palm Knife Scale - 3/8" x 1-1/2" x 5" - 2 Piece Set
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160091
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 841213
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153740
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160086
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160098
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 131582
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153746
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 159718