Woodcraft Woodshop - Palm, Red - 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 12"
Red Palm (Cocos nucifera) or Coconut Palm is an exotic wood that comes from the outer hardened area of a type of palm tree that is found in Australia and Southeast Asia. Reddish brown fibers are...
Item 158373Model Canarywood 1.5x12
Item 838090Model Redheart 1.5X1.5X12
Item 827375Model T26-152
Item 154602Model T13-152
Item 124126Model PAR BOC012
Red Palm (Cocos nucifera) or Coconut Palm is an exotic wood that comes from the outer hardened area of a type of palm tree that is found in Australia and Southeast Asia. Reddish brown fibers are embedded in a lighter tan or light brown colored body. Red Palm has a medium to fine texture with straight grain. While the wood is called black or red, it actually has black or red flecks in a streaked pattern on a light or deep tan background. The distinctive end grain has an extremely interesting speckled appearance. This wood is hard and heavy and the bundles can be quite stringy, so extremely sharp tools are required. Common uses include walking sticks, knife and tool handles, carvings, furniture and turned objects.
- Wood is hard, dense and extremely durable but not heavy
- Despite being somewhat difficult to work with, makes for phenomenal-looking finished products
- Tends to absorb larger quantities of finish, so care must be taken during finishing; a sanding sealer is recommended
- Native to Southeast Asia
- Thickness: 1-1/2"
- Width: 1-1/2"
- Length: 12"
- (1) Red Palm - 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 12" - Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.