Black Palm Knife Scale - 3/8" x 1-1/2" x 5" - 2 Piece
Woodcraft has brought together the most exceptional stock of domestic and exotic hardwood knife scale blanks, either 1"-thick solid stock or matching 3/8" pieces. Each piece is selected for its striking figure, and blanks are milled to sizes that make the knife making process easy and...
Black Palm (Borassus flabellifer) has a brown background streaked with elongated dark brown and black vascular bundles. Black Palm has a medium to fine texture with straight grain. The end grain exhibits an interesting spotted appearance and the elongated bundles terminate in an interesting “eye” that glows when polished, revealing spectacular results. This wood is hard and heavy and the bundles can be quite stringy, so extremely sharp tools are required. Common uses include walking sticks, knife and tool handles, furniture and turned objects.
- Distinctive streaks embedded in the wood add visual flair to pens, knife handles, and other turnings
- Despite being somewhat difficult to work with, makes for phenomenal-looking finished products
- Tends to absorb larger quantities of finish, so care must be taken during finishing; a sanding sealer is recommended
- Native to Southeast Asia
- Thickness: 3/8"
- Width: 1-1/2"
- Length: 5"
- (1) Black Palm Knife Scale - 3/8" x 1-1/2" x 5" - 2 Piece Set
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160090
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 154606
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160088
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 148865
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160087
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 841213
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 131582