Woodcraft Woodshop - Palm, Black - 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 18"
Black Palm (Borassus flabellifer) has a brown background streaked with elongated dark brown and black vascular bundles. Black Palm has a medium to fine texture with straight grain. The end grain...
Item 834565Model 1.5 X 1.5 X 18"
Item 841817Model T86-152
Item 840216Model Ebony, Gab 1.5x18
Item 841807Model Osage Org 1.5x1.5x18
Item 159457Model Maple BE 1.5x1.5x18
Black Palm (Borassus flabellifer) has a brown background streaked with elongated dark brown and black vascular bundles. Black Palm has a medium to fine texture with straight grain. The end grain exhibits an interesting spotted appearance and the elongated bundles terminate in an interesting “eye” that glows when polished, revealing spectacular results. This wood is hard and heavy and the bundles can be quite stringy, so extremely sharp tools are required. Common uses include walking sticks, knife and tool handles, furniture and turned objects.
- Distinctive streaks embedded in the wood add visual flair to pens, knife handles, and other turnings
- Despite being somewhat difficult to work with, makes for phenomenal-looking finished products
- Tends to absorb larger quantities of finish, so care must be taken during finishing; a sanding sealer is recommended
- Native to Southeast Asia
- Thickness: 1-1/2"
- Width: 1-1/2"
- Length: 18"
- (1) Black Palm - 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 18" - Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.