Woodcraft Woodshop - Olivewood - 2" x 2" x 6"
African olivewood (Olea Capensis) has heartwood that is often pale to medium brown with irregular streaks that vary from brown to dark-brown and dark grey. The sapwood is generally pale yellow....
Item 838042Model 1.5\"X1.5\"X12\"
African olivewood (Olea Capensis) has heartwood that is often pale to medium brown with irregular streaks that vary from brown to dark-brown and dark grey. The sapwood is generally pale yellow. Wood has excellent strength properties. Material can be difficult to work due to interlocked grain and oily surface of the wood. Olivewood needs care when drying to avoid checking or honeycombing, especially with thicker material. Pre-boring is recommended when nailing. Moderate blunting effect to cutting tools. Olivewood is used for sculpture and carving work, veneer, decorative turnings, inlay, and high end custom furniture.
- Medium brown with irregular streaks
- Known for having excellent strength properties
- Polishes up well and gives a smooth even finish
- Native to Europe and eastern Africa
- Thickness: 2"
- Width: 2"
- Length: 6"
- (1) Olivewood - 2" x 2" x 6" - Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
It turned into a beautiful Spindle.
one of a kind beauty in each piece
I love working with this wood, the way that the God given designs in the wood can be so expressive and wild Especially in spanish and Italian Olivewood just blows my mind.. I have made several nice Euro pens out of it as well as a bottle stopper and in the last month an awsome Elk game call that i then had laser engraved..