Birdseye Maple Pen Blank - 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" - 5 Piece
Bird's-eye Maple (Acer saccharum) is so named because the figure resembles small bird's eyes. Bird's-eye figure is a phenomenon that occurs within several kinds of wood, most notably in hard maple. The figure is reportedly caused by unfavorable growing conditions for the tree. The sugar...
Bird's-eye Maple (Acer saccharum) is so named because the figure resembles small bird's eyes. Bird's-eye figure is a phenomenon that occurs within several kinds of wood, most notably in hard maple. The figure is reportedly caused by unfavorable growing conditions for the tree. The sugar maple attempts to start numerous new buds to get more sunlight, but with poor growing conditions the new shoots are aborted, and afterward a number of tiny knots remain. Bird's-eye Maple is frequently sold in veneer form, but solid lumber is available as well. Being tiny knots, the bird's-eye figure is most noticeable and pronounced on flatsawn pieces of lumber. When working with bird's-eye wood, it is advisable to use sharp tools so as to prevent grain tear-out. It turns well on a lathe, allowing it to be shaped into decorative canes, bottle stoppers and pens. It is used in refined specialty products, such as in automobile trim, both in solid form and veneer, boxes and bowls for jewelry, thin veneer, humidors, furniture inlays, handles, guitars, and pool cues.
- Distinctive "eye" pattern
- Straight grained
- Turns, glues and finishes well
- Native to eastern North America
- Thickness: 3/4"
- Width: 5"
- Length: 24"
- (5) Birds-Eye Maple Pen Blanks - 3/4" x 3/4" x 5"
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
I have always wanted to turn some Birds Eye Maple pens, as I have been impressed with the ones I've seen others turn. However, this 5-pack of blanks had very few "eyes." Out of the five blanks there were only two that had a handfull of "eyes," the others hand none. I have email the tech people about this and am looking forward to their response. I haven't turned any of the blanks yet as I will probably return them. I did ask the techs if the eyes show up once their turned.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 157762
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 152942
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 157760
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 153335
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 152939