Woodcraft Woodshop - Mahogany, African - 3" x 3" x 36"
African mahogany (Khaya spp.) offers lovers of "Genuine Mahogany" an affordable alternative within the Khaya genus. The heartwood is a light pink-brown that darkens when cut to a reddish brown. It...
Item 158269Model Mahog Af PM Predrill
Item 158236Model Mahogany Afr 4x4x8
Item 50W61Model PAR AM013.30
Item 153989Model T51-312
Item 166198Model T51-236
African mahogany (Khaya spp.) offers lovers of "Genuine Mahogany" an affordable alternative within the Khaya genus. The heartwood is a light pink-brown that darkens when cut to a reddish brown. It has a medium to coarse texture and a straight to interlocked grain, which can yield a striped or roe figure. Easy to work, glue, and finish. Tearout can sometimes be a problem if the grain is interlocked. Common uses of African mahogany include furniture and cabinetry, paneling, boat building, veneer, office and shop fixtures, interior joinery, staircase banisters, handrails and domestic flooring.
- A valid substitute for Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla), otherwise known as “Genuine Mahogany.”
- Premier carving wood, machines well, excellent for turning
- Easy to work, glue, and finish
- Native to West tropical Africa
- Thickness: 3"
- Width: 3"
- Length: 36"
- (1) Mahogany, African - 3" x 3" x 36" - Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- ¼" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.