Woodcraft Woodshop - Lignum Vitae - 2" x 2" x 6"
Lignum Vitae (Bulnesia sarmientoi) heartwood is dark greenish brown to almost black and sharply demarcated from the pale yellow or cream-colored sapwood. The texture is very fine; grain is strongly...
Item 158744Model Lignum Vitae 1.5x12
Item 845473Model Guayacan 1.5x3
Item 158743Model Lignum Vitae PB 5p
Item 838065Model 838065
Item 158745Model Lignum Vitae 1.5x18
Item 838063Model 2X6X6 ARGEN OSAGE OR
Item 840049Model 1.5X1.5X6
Item 841484Model 841484
Lignum Vitae (Bulnesia sarmientoi) heartwood is dark greenish brown to almost black and sharply demarcated from the pale yellow or cream-colored sapwood. The texture is very fine; grain is strongly interlocked; a slight scent is evident when warmed or rubbed. It has a characteristic oily feel due to the resin content that may be as high as one-fourth of the air-dry weight making it difficult to glue. With sharp tools and patience, it turns well but due to its high resin content, sandpaper will quickly clog up. The resin is also responsible for its poor gluing properties and synthetic glues will get the best results. Common uses for Lignum Vitae include tool handles, mallet heads, bearings, bushings, bandsaw blocks, pulley wheels and turned objects.
- Known to be one of the hardest and heaviest woods
- Suitable for outdoor use and resistant to insect attack
- Polishing is the only effective finishing treatment
- Native to Central America and northern South America
- Thickness: 2"
- Width: 2"
- Length: 6"
- (1) Lignum Vitae - 2" x 2" x 6" - Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.