Woodcraft Woodshop - Chechen 2" x 2" x 6"
Chechen (Metopium Brownei) is a striking species with colors that are highly varied—red, orange and brown contrasted with darker stripes of blackish brown. Because of the coloration it is sometimes...
Item 841710Model Chechen 1.5x1.5x12
Item 841711Model Chechen 1.5x1.5x18
Item 851571Model 851571
Chechen (Metopium Brownei) is a striking species with colors that are highly varied—red, orange and brown contrasted with darker stripes of blackish brown. Because of the coloration it is sometimes referred to as Caribbean rosewood. Overall it is easy to work, with the exception of planing the interlocking grain. Chechen has become increasingly popular with veneer manufacturers, furniture craftsmen and guitar luthiers as it is a very durable, easy-to-work and -finish wood that is moderately priced for an exotic import.
- Excellent for box makers and turners
- Moderately hard species, that works easily and finishes well
- Responds well to hand and machine tools
- Due to interlocking grain, planing is very difficult, and may result in tear-out
- Quality, kiln-dried stock
- Native to Central America and Mexico
- Thickness: 2"
- Width: 2"
- Length: 6"
- (1) Chechen 2" x 2" x 6" Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- ¼" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.