Cedar, Aromatic - 1/2" x 3" x 24"
Aromatic red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) is a soft wood with aroma that is a natural repellent to moths and insects. Sapwood is white to cream and is intermixed and contrasts with the salmon to dark red of the heartwood. Expect tight, closed knots throughout the material. Aromatic red...
Aromatic red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) is a soft wood with aroma that is a natural repellent to moths and insects. Sapwood is white to cream and is intermixed and contrasts with the salmon to dark red of the heartwood. Expect tight, closed knots throughout the material. Aromatic red cedar is easy to work and it reportedly has a high silica content, which can dull cutters. Aromatic red cedar glues and finishes well, though in many applications, the wood is left unfinished to preserve its aromatic properties. Some common uses for aromatic red cedar include fence posts, closet and chest linings, carvings, outdoor furniture, pencils, bows, and small wooden specialty items.
- Known for distinct aromatic properties
- Excellent resistance to both decay and insect attack
- Turns, glues and finishes well
- Native to North America
- Thickness: 1/2"
- Width: 3"
- Length: 24"
- (1) Aromatic Cedar - 1/2" x 3" x 24" - Dimensional Lumber
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
A Tale of Two Cedars
Not unlike the masked Lone Ranger and his Spanish counterpart Zorro, there are two tree species from different geographic origins that hide their real identity. What they share is a desirable fragrance.
Wood Flutes by Werner John
Werner John is not only a musician, but a man of many talents, including writing, recording, performing and teaching music using his own handcrafted Native American Flutes. As a young boy, Werner found a connection to nature growing up in the New York Hudson River Valley. With artisan parents and grandparents as an example and a woodworking father to learn from, Werner became a carpenter’s apprentice when he was 18, and worked in lumber yards for his college education. In addition to woodworking his other passion was music. As a musician in his 30′s, Werner found himself taking on 12 students left behind by his former Austrian instructor. This confirmed in Werner’s heart and mind that he had something to offer others in music education. He soon finished college and became a teacher, while performing and recording in Ashville, North Carolina.
"CEDAR" Smells Great
Cedar was used to line Brass Chest
inferior, in my opinion ( 1/2 and 1/4 in
All of the rest of the wood species that I ordered were Ok. And I will not rate them separately
Used to fix old door on old dry sink
Cedar, Aromatic - 1/4" x 3" x 24"Item 124133
Cedar, Aromatic - 3/4" x 6" x 36"Item 131494
Cedar, Aromatic - 3/4" x 4" x 48"Item 131609
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 130809
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 130791
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 178643
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 130830
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 161555
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 130795
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 131205