Woodcraft Woodshop - Bocote Pen Blanks - 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" - 5 Piece
Bocote (Cordia spp.) has a yellowish brown body with dramatic dark brown to almost black stripes. Color tends to darken with age. Also, the grain patterning can be quite striking, particularly on...
Item 838477Model PAR MOR001.5
Item 159717Model P62-341 5p
Item 152943Model P33-345
Item 162064Model WW Red Wine Infused
Item 152939Model PAR JAT001.5
Item 153971Model P89-345
Item 829759Model Olivewood PB 4pc
Item 152879Model P30-345
Bocote (Cordia spp.) has a yellowish brown body with dramatic dark brown to almost black stripes. Color tends to darken with age. Also, the grain patterning can be quite striking, particularly on flatsawn areas. It's not uncommon to see many "eyes" and other figuring in Bocote; though unlike knots, they do not seem to present any special challenges in machining. Some species may contain silica that will dull cutters. On the whole, Bocote is easily worked and machined with good results. Common uses include fine furniture, cabinetry, flooring, veneer, boat-building, musical instruments, gunstocks, turned objects, and other small specialty wood items.
- Dramatic dark brown to almost black stripes
- A perfect option for turning custom handles for tools, kitchen utensils, and bottle stoppers
- Turns, glues and finishes well
- Native to Mexico and Central/South America, though certain species occur in Africa
- Thickness: 3/4"
- Width: 3/4"
- Length: 5"
- (5) Bocote Pen Blanks - 3/4" x 3/4" x 5"
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Partly good blank
I use Bocote in many of my pens, and usually buy big blocks that I cut down myself. I tried these precut blanks in my last order, and 2 blanks out of 10 were unuseable due to being mostly white sapwood. I got the more expensive precut blanks expecting to get all good blanks. I would only use them if I got them at the retail store and could check them myself.