Bloodwood - 3/8" x 3" x 24"
Bloodwood (Brosimium paraense) or "cardinal wood" as it is commonly referred to, is a medium to hard wood with red to crimson color and tight straight interlocking grain. The bright, vivid red color can darken to a darker brownish red over time with exposure to light and air. Applying a...
Bloodwood (Brosimium paraense) or "cardinal wood" as it is commonly referred to, is a medium to hard wood with red to crimson color and tight straight interlocking grain. The bright, vivid red color can darken to a darker brownish red over time with exposure to light and air. Applying a thick protective finish, and keeping the wood out of direct sunlight can help minimize this color shift. Bloodwood is extremely dense, and may have a blunting effect on cutters. It is used for both trim and accents, as well as larger structural elements in furniture. Additional uses may include: case goods, carvings, inlays, guitars, knife handles, and turned objects.
- Popular imported wood species known for being exceptionally hard, durable, strong, and beautiful
- Excellent for turning
- Finishes well leaving an exceptional and lustrous red to crimson surface
- Native to tropical South America
- Thickness: 3/8"
- Width: 3"
- Length: 24"
- (1) Bloodwood - 3/8" x 3" x 24" - Dimensional Lumber
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Craft custom knives for your favorite chef or yourself with Woodcraft’s new ZHEN Premium Damascus Knife Kits and Knife Scale Stock. Designed with the professional chef in mind, ZHEN Knives are the perfect gift for anyone who enjoys cooking, whether an amateur or professional, and making the high quality knives is easy with these kits. Years of Japanese knife making skill and technology go into forging the knife blades in these kits.
Bloodwood for kitchenware - 5 *****
I purchased some 3/8 Bloodwood to check out the wood, not knowing what I'd do with it. A bamboo kitchen spoon was getting crummy, so I decided to make a new, better spoon using this wood. So impressed! After sanding and finishing only 2 coats with Tung oil, then 24 hours curing time, I put it to work. High heat, boiling water, sitting underwater in a pot for most of the day, over and over for 2 months, and the spin is as smooth and delightful to hold as the day I brought it into the kitchen. Bloodwood does not raise grain when it hits water, is very dense, takes very well to tung oil. Probably because I only did 2 coats, the spoon head has lost its sheen (until water hits it), but the handle portion still retains a nice satin luster. A joy to use. For any other use, be forewarned, the 3/8" thickness has a tendency to slightly twist (very slight). Irrelevant for a spoon, but quite relevant for inlays or other uses.
I will be using it in a intarsia project
Use for intarsia or 3-D puzzle, picture scenes