African Blackwood Knife Scale - 1" x 1-1/2" x 5"
Woodcraft has brought together the most exceptional stock of domestic and exotic hardwood knife scale blanks–1" thick solid stock or matching 3/8" pieces. Each piece was selected for its striking figure and milled to sizes that make the knife making process easy and efficient with...
Woodcraft has brought together the most exceptional stock of domestic and exotic hardwood knife scale blanks–1" thick solid stock or matching 3/8" pieces. Each piece was selected for its striking figure and milled to sizes that make the knife making process easy and efficient with minimal waste.
African Blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon) is purplish black to dark brown with black streaks. The grain is mostly straight with a fine texture. A firm, heavy wood with exceptionally good working qualities. Cuts very smoothly and evenly, taking an excellent finish directly from the tool. Common uses for African Blackwood are musical instruments, ornamental inlays and turned objects such as chess pieces or pool cues.
- Considered one of the best woods in the world for turning
- Very hard, dense, stable wood
- A member of the Rosewood family
- Good natural luster, finishes well
- Native to the dry savanna regions of central and southern Africa
- Thickness: 1"
- Width: 1-1/2"
- Length: 5"
- (1) African Blackwood Knife Scale - 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 6" - Knife Scale
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Craft custom knives for your favorite chef or yourself with Woodcraft’s new ZHEN Premium Damascus Knife Kits and Knife Scale Stock. Designed with the professional chef in mind, ZHEN Knives are the perfect gift for anyone who enjoys cooking, whether an amateur or professional, and making the high quality knives is easy with these kits. Years of Japanese knife making skill and technology go into forging the knife blades in these kits.
Good Substitute For Ebony
Machines easily, sands and polishes very well
Great substitute for Ebony. Makes beautiful knife scales for the new Woodcraft Damascus blades.
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 154606
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160088
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 148865
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160091
Woodcraft WoodshopItem 160087