Woodcraft Woodshop - Blackwood, African - 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3"
African Blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon) is purplish black to dark brown with black streaks. The grain is mostly straight with a fine texture. A firm, heavy wood with exceptionally good working...
Item 843947Model T01-150
Item 838037Model Afr Blkwood Bell
Item 848997Model Purpleheart 1.5x3
Item 848554Model Bubinga 1.5x1.5x3
Item 159414Model PAR WAL012.3
Item 845476Model Padauk 1.5x1.5x3
Item 848999Model Zebrawood 1.5x3
Item 152792Model Redheart 1.5x1.5x3
Item 159408Model T13-150
African Blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon) is purplish black to dark brown with black streaks. The grain is mostly straight with a fine texture. A firm, heavy wood with exceptionally good working qualities. Cuts very smoothly and evenly, taking an excellent finish directly from the tool. Common uses for African Blackwood are musical instruments, ornamental inlays and turned objects such as chess pieces or pool cues.
- Considered one of the best woods in the world for turning
- Very hard, dense, stable wood
- A member of the Rosewood family
- Good natural luster, finishes well
- Native to the dry savanna regions of central and southern Africa
- Thickness: 1-1/2"
- Width: 1-1/2"
- Length: 3"
- (1) African Blackwood - 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3" Turning Stock
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.