Woodcraft Woodshop - American Holly Pen Blank - 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" - 5 Piece
American Holly (Ilex Opaca) is milled from the familiar landscaping broadleaf evergreen native to the eastern United States. Holly is a close grained, moderately heavy, creamy white wood with...
Item 149071Model T30-212
Item 159415Model LTB 012.3
Item 127345Model PAR MBE059
Item 166300Model 365CW
Item 171860Model JM-PTK1Black
Item 160098Model K10-512
Item 142935Model 142935
Item 817848Model LTB 002.12
Item 154182Model 154182
Item 126206Model PB-02-HP-1
Item 152938Model PAR BOC001.5
Item 152940Model PSBU-534
Item 152952Model PAR BW001.5
Item 162064Model WW Red Wine Infused
American Holly (Ilex Opaca) is milled from the familiar landscaping broadleaf evergreen native to the eastern United States. Holly is a close grained, moderately heavy, creamy white wood with almost indistinct growth rings. One of the lightest colored woods, holly is traditionally used in inlays and purflings for the striking contrast it provides. Holly lumber of this quality is rare because of the small stature of the tree and its tendency to stain with blue mold when improperly dried. Holly is not hard, but sharp cutting edges are important when milling holly due to its interlocked grain. Common uses for American Holly include accents, carvings, turnings, inlay, jewelry boxes and small musical instrument parts.
- Turns well and takes a good polish
- Dyes easily
- Glues, stains and finishes well
- Native to Eastern United States
- Thickness: 3/4"
- Width: 3/4"
- Length: 5"
- (5) American Holly - 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" Pen Blanks
- Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
- Cut from quality, kiln-dried stock. The grain runs with the longest dimension.
- Thin Stock is sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Carving and Turning Blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Plywood sizes are nominal, the dimensions are +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Larger blocks are sawn to +/- 1/4" of the listed size.
- Smaller blocks are sawn to +/- 1/8" of the listed size.
- Spindle stock, or stock that is 1-1/2" - 2" wide is sawn to +/-1/8" of the listed size.
Articles & Blogs
Werner John is not only a musician, but a man of many talents, including writing, recording, performing and teaching music using his own handcrafted Native American Flutes. As a young boy, Werner found a connection to nature growing up in the New York Hudson River Valley. With artisan parents and grandparents as an example and a woodworking father to learn from, Werner became a carpenter’s apprentice when he was 18, and worked in lumber yards for his college education. In addition to woodworking his other passion was music. As a musician in his 30′s, Werner found himself taking on 12 students left behind by his former Austrian instructor. This confirmed in Werner’s heart and mind that he had something to offer others in music education. He soon finished college and became a teacher, while performing and recording in Ashville, North Carolina.
beautiful, works great, unusual
pen, necklace pen