Trim Your Tree with Handcrafted OrnamentsComments (0)
Creating gifts from the heart has never been easier with WoodRiver® Ornament Kits for woodturning. Decorate your tree with handmade ornaments or give them as special gifts to cherish year after year.
Not only are ornaments fun and quick to turn, but they provide the maker with plenty of flexibility to create unique shapes and designs. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Select woodturning blanks for a natural look that matches any décor, or use colorful acrylic blanks in seasonal combinations.
- Create your own turning blanks by combining different types of scrap woods into laminated blocks for turning.
- Use your imagination when shaping each ornament to create a variety of profiles, or make several of the same style if you prefer a more uniform look when decorating your Christmas tree.
- Efficiently create more than one ornament at a time by loading them onto the lathe’s mandrel in the same manner as a two-piece pen, as pictured above.
- Use pen tubes (available separately) to create longer ornaments, as in the two-toned version shown at right in the photo below, which is bloodwood and green dyed curly maple.
- Polish off your completed ornament with your finish of choice, then assemble with the top and bottom pieces of the kit. Doctor’s Woodshop High Build Friction Polish was used on most of the ornaments in this blog.
- Add a wire hook, narrow craft ribbon, natural jute or twine, or a leather strip for hanging.
- Dress up your ornaments for presentation by providing a brass- or chrome-plated stand.
TREES, TREES & MORE TREES
Another style of ornament can be created without using any kits by simply turning a tree shape from a block of wood like these shown below. Add a metal eye hook to make a hanging ornament. For a fresh-smelling closet or drawer freshener, use cedar wood. Place several free-standing trees together to create a seasonal décor grouping with pine sprigs and natural elements.
Use up some of your less desirable wood to create paintable versions. Top with craft snow, with or without glitter. Decorate them as you please, and then use with your holiday village sets, on the mantel, or in a grouping as a centerpiece.
TOGETHER, WE CAN CREATE ANYTHING®
We hope you’ll be
WoodRiverItem 126199As Low As $5.99
WoodRiverItem 126206As Low As $5.99
WoodRiverItem 126213As Low As $5.99
You must be logged in to write a comment. Log In