Nick Cook to Demo New Powermatic Lathe at Carolina Woodcraft StoresComments (0)
NEW POWERMATIC 4224B LATHE at Woodcraft
There are wood lathes, then there is the new Powermatic® 4224B, Woodcraft Item #854112, which expands the boundaries of what a lathe can be. Tool Times, Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor (Tim Allen)would definitely grunt, “Arr Arr Arr” over this most capable, rugged, innovative lathe. “This newest member of our industry-leading line of lathes provides a tremendous range of woodturning possibilities” said Joan Duvall, Director of Product Development for Walter Meier. Powermatic is rolling out their new lathe by having nationally renown woodturner, Nick Cook demonstrate the capabilities of the 4224B lathe at some Woodcraft stores. (This demonstration schedule and more about Nick is at the end of this blog).
You name a woodturning task, and the versatile Powermatic 4224B can handle it smoothly, precisely and easily. Typical projects range from turning custom balusters, decorative table legs and large platters to handcrafting bowls, vases, pens and more.
Open access eliminates the need to remove the headstock cover to change settings. Forward and reverse rotation allows varied turning methods, and makes it easier to apply finishing touches to projects.
The lathe includes a spindle lock and a robust 14” cast iron tool rest allowing for better tool control.
- Lamp kit included
- Sliding headstock with electronic variable speed and digital RPM readout for accurate speed adjustments
- Spindle lock that is engaged by pressing a button on the front of the headstock when attaching or removing work pieces.
- Built in 98-position spindle indexing on the headstock for drilling hole patterns, routing flutes, and other equally spaced features.
- Fully Integrated Venturi Vacuum system built into headstock providing quick and simple work piece change methods.
- Four 115V electric outlets are provided to plug-in auxiliary power tools.
- Two 100W task lamps illuminate woodturning area
- Air nozzle with quick connect for clearing dust/chips
- Set of dead centers which hold a spindle for visual comparison
- Laser etched quill is self ejecting
- Two position mount for the optional bed extension
- A comparator system provides a mount for duplicated pieces designed within easy reach for measurement and visual comparison.
- Brass tipped knockout bar concentrates the action in the sliding handle; the brass tip will not damage drive centers
- Attached tool caddy allows convenient access to centers, wrenches, etc.
- Tailstock has internal storage for additional accessories
- Chrome trimmed handwheels are ergonomic for a comfortable feel
- Magnetic-backed remote on/off switch can be moved anywhere on the machine
- Cast iron legs with levelers ensure sturdy support
- 31.5”H x 27”W x 68”L
- Shipping Weight 960 lbs
- Swing Over Bed: 24″
- Swing Over Tool Rest Base: 21″
- Distance Between Centers: 42″
- Outboard Turning: 88″
- Speeds: 40-3500 RPM
- Headstock Taper: MT-2
- Spindle Nose: 1 1/4 ” x 8 TPI
- Hole Through Spindle: 5/8″
- Tailstock Taper: MT-2
- Hole Through Tailstock: 3/8″
- Ram Travel: 4-1/2″
- Centerline of Spindle to Floor: 44″
- Spindle Taper: MT-2
- Headstock Movement: full length of bed
- Indexing Positions: 98
- Bed Construction: cast iron
- Spindle Speeds: 40 – 3500
- Motor: 3HP, 220V, Prewired 220V, 3Ph
- 20″ extension bed for 4224B Lathe
- 20″ extension bed kit, Woodcraft Item #854113 provides a total capacity of 62″, a swing away function and an elevating assist
- 63″ extension bed, Woodcraft Item #854117 provides a total capacity of 105″
- Tailstock Riser Block for 4224B Lathe, Woodcraft item #854116
- Complete Lamp Kit, Woodcraft Item #854114
- Lamp for 4224B, Woodcraft Item #854115
Raleigh, NC 27612
Matthews, NC 28105
Pelham, AL 35124
Call Us: (205) 988-3600
Woodcraft of Greenville – October 19th or 20th timeframe is tentative, check with this store for confirmation.
Greenville, SC 29607
Watson Glen Plaza
Franklin, TN 37064
Join Nick Cook, Andrew Bondi (Woodcraft Power Tool Product Development Manager), Frank Byers (Woodcraft Social Media Specialist), and all the fine folks from the Charlotte store, Thursday, July 26th from 5pm-8pm or be sure to check the other Woodcraft stores for Nick’s scheduled demos’.
See you there!
Item 854112Model 1794224K
Item 854114Model 6294901K
Item 854116Model 6294903
Item 854118Model 6294905
You must be logged in to write a comment. Log In